The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Ultra Keyless Tuner came loose
Scott Boone

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 7:25 pm    

Hi folks,

Popped the high G# string on my GFI keyless and in loosening the tuner to replace the string, the bolt came fully unseated from the threaded brass insert on the tuning lever underneath the carriage and I cannot for the life of me get it back on. It's almost like the bolt is a little bit too long to seat, which makes me think that something is wrong with where the tuner mounts onto the instrument--that tuner has always been a little harder to turn than the other ones. If anybody has tips on how to reseat this thing before SXSW starts I would be extremely appreciative.

It's the older style of keyless tuner with the phillips head and knurled knob if that makes a difference.

Scott

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 11:10 pm    

I have the same era keyless GFI Ultra. Hope this will help. The L shaped tuning lever has slipped out or off its pivot point. The brass threaded barrel should line up with the brass threaded barrels on each side of it.

I would suggest you lay the guitar front apron down on a padded surface, Pedals and pedal bar down. Take the back left leg off so you can see the top and bottom of the guitar with little movement.

I looks as if the changer tuning lever is about 3/8 inches out of place. Toward the changer end.
Use a bamboo shiska bob sticks pointed end, Insert in the brass barrels threaded hole. Reach up on top and with your finger on the string anchor screw. With the bamboo stick and finger on lock screw. Move the L shaped lever till the brass barrel lines up with the brass barrel on each side, And the lock screw will pivot and line with the other anchor screws. Use the bamboo stick to align the hole. This should allow you to to start the knurled tuning screw into the brass threaded barrel. Be careful not to cross thread the screw in the softer brass barrel.

That brass barrel has some rough marks from pliers or some other tool on it.

Hope this helps in your problem. I can't get pictures to upload to help explain moving the tuning lever in the keyless head.

Good Luck getting this problem solved, Happy Steelin.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2024 9:40 am    

If you cannot get the lever to go back into position, Contact GFI by E-mail or phone. They have been great at helping, When I run into a problem with either of my GFI steels.

Scott Boone

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2024 11:02 am    

To close the loop here, the issue was that the metal retention arms holding the brass nut on the tuning finger had spread out a bit, preventing the finger from moving far enough to accept the bolt from the tuning knob.

Michael Small in Austin, TX (see this thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3195089#3195089 was able to make the repair, including cleaning up the thread on the brass nut which had gotten a little mussed up.