The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter Starter LKR problem
Michael Berry

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2024 10:54 pm    

Hi all,

I have a Carter Starter that I don't play and would like to sell to someone trying to learn, like I did. However the LKR E lower has always been problematic and will pop off when fully engaged. I managed to rig it with a paper clip to hold it in place but it's a less than elegant fix.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this problem and if so how did you fix it? I don't want to sell someone a guitar with faulty mechanics, especially considering how daunting it is to get your feet (and knees) under you when trying to teach yourself to play. But I would like to see this guitar get played as I got all I could out of it years ago and it's just sitting in my garage.

Any tips, pointers, etc. on the underside of a Carter Starter with a bum D pedal is appreciated.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 5:20 am    

I have seen issues with LKL & RKL on Carter Starters but I have never seen the issue you are describing some Pics might help with a solution.

Barry

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 5:33 am    

Need a better description. Are you saying that the pull rod is coming out of the bellcrank?
Since the bellcrank is welded to the shaft (so that you can't loosen it and angle it) first thing I'd try is to remove the rod and bend a (very) little more angle in the rod end. That will then require that you flex the whole rod in order to get a straight entry into the bellcrank hole.
If you mean something else, please describe.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2024 10:50 am    

A small o-ring is great for holding the bent-end rods in place. They're easy to find, easy to install and remove, dirt cheap, and they have the added advantage of preventing looseness and rattling.