The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question About Knee Lever Angle
Robert Underkoffler

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 6:14 pm    

Hey, all! I picked up a MSA semi-classic as my first pedal steel a few weeks ago and it plays wonderful and has been very easy to pick up on, but I have to install an extra knee lever and I just had a question about the left knee lever. Both my right knee levers are angled straight down, but the left knee one was at an angle when I got it and wasn't sure if it's supposed to be straight down like the rest. Probably an easy answer to it, but I'm unsure if this has any effect as a newbie.

Right Knee Lever

Left Knee Lever
[/i]

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2024 8:52 pm    

On that generation MSA, If you loosen the allen screw where the knee lever bracket mounts on the cross rod you can adjust the knee levers to fit you. Now it is your guitar, What fits you is important.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2024 12:43 pm    

Hi Robert,

Bobby is correct in that "What fits you is important." The knee levers hanging "straight down" is not a standard angle, but rather, how it was to fit the previous owner. Now that it's yours, the idea is to fit yourself.

The knee levers are wide enough apart to fit different size legs, right? The fine tuning involved is how and where you sit plus the distance your leg has to move to press the levers.

Usually, one sits with the belly button in front of the 15th fret. That angle, with your left knee between LKL & LKR should point your leg & foot right at the ABC pedals (adjust, if needed). Then the fine tuning:

You adjust the angle on the lever so your leg does not have to move far to press the levers. That way, your movement is efficient instead of wasted, and playing is easier. That being said, that the levers hang down straight is not important, but rather, as Bobby brought out, whether it fits you or not. For the same reason, all of my knee levers are angled in, to minimize needed movement, again, making playing easier.

MSA is still in business, and parts should be available. Full speed ahead, and luck on your work........Pat

Robert Underkoffler

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2024 10:54 am    

Thank you both! I've made the adjustment now, but I've come to the realization that one of the knee lever's screw-holes (the left knee that came apart from the rest already installed) does not align with any of the knee lever holders. The two right knees were already installed when I bought it and I tried rearranging the knee levers to see if any of the others would have trouble screwing into the left knee's holder, but seemingly just the one left knee that was to be installed after configuration doesn't fit in any of the holders. So as of now only two of the three knees can be on at a time.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2024 9:22 pm    

That era of MSA Classic guitars used a reverser mounted on the back apron of the guitar. To change the direction of the pull on 1 left and 1 right knee lever. (I wanted to load a picture, It won't load to message).
You have to adjust the 2 knee levers linkage through the reverser linkage, From the knee lever to changer to set the pulls proper those 2 knee levers.
Good Luck getting all 4 knee levers working proper.