The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Getting Fender deluxe at Phoenix show :) picture added
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 9:15 am    

I recently purchased six string Fender deluxe...i started out looking for an eight string model, but decided most of what I play can be done on six....I assume there will be some adjustment getting used to six string spacing,but figure i can handle that. It will be a lot easier to take to nursing homes than the t8, which i dearly love,but hard on this old mans back...i will post pics of it when i get in less than two weeks now Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 30 Dec 2016 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total

Michael James

La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:12 am    

The six string has a wider more uniform string spacing than the eight string. I have two of those six string instruments. A 1966 and a brown 1961. With my playing style I use slants a lot and the wider spacing make it little easier in the lower fret range.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 10:22 am    

Michael, thanks for your response...thats what i was wanting to know....mine is a short scale which should make slants easier too i believe.
Thanks again ...i am excited about it.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 1:30 pm     Re: Looking forward to getting Fender deluxe at Phoenix sho

Larry Lenhart wrote:
I recently purchased six string Fender deluxe...

What exactly is a "six string Fender deluxe" and when were they made? I know they once made a Deluxe amp, and a Deluxe Reverb amp, but I am unfamiliar with the guitar.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 2:24 pm    

It's a little confusing. A Fender Deluxe 6 could either be an early 1950s lap steel, 6 strings with trapezoid pickup or it could be the later 50's, 60s design with Stringmaster features, two pickups. Both versions had the same model Name but they are different designs. To further complicate matters, Fender also made a Studio Deluxe, 6 strings, single pickup, legs.

Fender did the same thing with their amps in the 1950s. They kept the same model names but changed the look and the power of the amps every couple of years. So you can't simply say a Fender Deluxe amp or a Champ amp. You need to specify which style of cabinet, what year, the power, etc.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 5:47 pm    

The one that I purchased has two pickups like my T8 Stringmaster and the wheel to blend the pickups...it has 3 legs and looks to be in wonderful condition !

Thanks Doug for the information...it is confusing Sad

maybe this will give more information:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qrn8m07nfb3tuu/Fender%206.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 29 Dec 2016 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 6:00 pm    

You got a good one, Larry!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 6:43 pm    

Thanks Larry, Michael, and Doug. Nice guitar, Larry. That's the one that is basically a single-neck six-string Stringmaster, isn't it. Are they somewhat uncommon?

Without question, Don Randall and his crew definitely did not have the sanity of future enthusiasts in mind when they were choosing monikers for Leo's guitars and amps.

What threw me was Michael's statement about the wider string spacing on the six-string models. I have a Studio Deluxe that I purchased as a rescue, and personally consider its string spacing a tad on the narrow side. That's in comparison to the relatively wide spacing of most six-string lap steels from Gibson and Rickenbacker. I've found Gibsons among the easiest instruments for bar slants, thanks to the combination of their 22.5" scale and their relatively wide string spacing.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2016 6:59 pm    

Thanks Jack...yes it is very similar to my T8 Stringmaster that is a 1957, but with 6 instead of 8 strings. I dont know how common they are, but I like the sound of the stringmaster and am hoping this one is close to it. I am hoping that I can adjust to the string spacing on this one...its probably been almost 50 years since I played a 6 string lap steel. Also, this one is a short scale, so I know that will require some adjusting to also. I owned a 6 stringer for about a month and then purchased a quad...wish I still had that one for nostalgia sake as it belonged to my teacher, the late Bill Pruitt.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2016 5:07 am    

I have a deluxe just like the one you purchased. I love it! Plays and sounds great!

I read on the forum that all the fender deluxes (single necks) are short scale.

Russ Swanson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2024 6:48 am    

Looks in beautiful condition. I’ve been looking for an eight too. Seems sixes are much more plentiful.