The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can I split my NV112?
Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 9:26 am    

I have reached the age when even my NV112 is too heavy for me. I'm wondering if I can have it split and have the top made into a head and the bottom as a speaker cab. Wondering if anyone has done this and if there may be problems doing it. NM

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 10:37 am    

Nigel,
I believe I’ve seen it done…..suggest you contact Tommy Huff…he’s a Forum Brother who is a Master Cab builder. He’s built me two fine amp cabs and they’re great and reasonably priced….👍

Jamie Kitlarchuk

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 11:37 am    

Hi Nigel, if you decide it's not feasible and you want to sell it, let me know. Been on the lookout for one in Canada.

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 1:18 pm    

Buy an empty cabinet and move the speaker.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 4:32 pm     Split

Contact Tommy Huff or Rick Johnson for a cabinet!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 5:27 pm    

I did that to my Nashville 400. Rick Johnson made my head cabinet. If I could afford it, I would do the same to my 112. It's nice having the head on the floor next to me. They are lighter, but it means one additional trip to and from the car.

Nigel Mullen

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 10:58 am    

Thank you so much for all your comments. I am going ahead with the split and maybe I can stay in the music business for a little while longer. Jamie, I'm not going to sell the NV112 as it's absolutely the best steel amp I have ever owned. I'll try the split and that should make the load a bit lighter. Thanks again everyone. NM

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 11:11 am    

I've built a few splits for NV400 but never a 112.

Might I suggest for the ultimate weight loss use a cabinet grade birch plywood or possibly pine boards for the head cabinet. I like birch for the speaker cabinet too.

Tommy Huff has designed a lightweight cabinet for speakers but I don't know if he builds the head cabs. I'm sure he could, given the dimensions.

In my experience of building splits, pulling the amp and keeping the box for a speaker cabinet will net you some weight loss, but I've found it's best to build 2 new cabinets from lighter weight materials. It will be more expensive, but it will pay dividends in total weight loss in the long run.

Keep the original amp cabinet intact for if you might ever want to re-sell the amp in it, or if you're satisfied with the split, maybe sell the old cabinet to another user. JMO

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 6:23 pm    

I'm surprised nobody mentioned they had a Katana model that's a head only. Still sells for 369.99 at Sweetwater.

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 6:25 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned they had a Katana model that's a head only. Still sells for 369.99 at Sweetwater.

Looks like the Boss manual says the 100w head weighs 32 lb. Seems heavy? The 200w 212 Tonemaster weighs 33 lb as a combo. A tonemaster split might get a 200w head close to 20 lb?

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 8:41 am    

I too have the same problem “aging back” so I bought the “Boss Katana 100 MK 11” after hearing one being played . The tone was fantastic, weight “32 lbs.” so I have parked my Nashville 112 in my music studio. I would suggest you give this amp a look before taking on the split. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Larry

James Holland

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 11:56 am    

Still thinking about this. My 50w Frenzel Mini Bassman head is really lightweight, 2 6L6s, and blends well with an E130-4. So I looked up Frenzels 100W Super Bassman, has 4 6L6s, cost $1400, but only weighs 19 lb. I also found forum threads on micro bass amps like the 200w Elf or 250w TC Electronics amps working well for pedal steel. Those weigh less than 10 lbs. So, lots of options to reduce weight, with representative power, albeit at a cost.

Nigel Mullen

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 2:32 pm    

The mini amp heads are interesting. Can I use a 200 watt mini head with a Nashville 112 speaker. I can't seem to find any 100 watt mini amp heads. NM

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 4:20 am    

You can use it but not at full volume. I'm not sure of the specs on your Nashville 112 but the speaker may be rated at more than 100 watts. Here is what I found for the Blue Marvel speaker.
Peavey Classic-1238 ; Impedance, 8 Ω ; Power Capacity, Peak: 300 W · Program: 150 W · Continuous: 75 W ; Sensitivity, 96.5 dB; 1 W / 39.4" (1.0 m) ; Usable Frequency ...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 7:59 am     Go ahead, play away!

Nigel Mullen wrote:
The mini amp heads are interesting. Can I use a 200 watt mini head with a Nashville 112 speaker. I can't seem to find any 100 watt mini amp heads. NM

I don’t think I’ve heard any steel player (with the possible exception of me, Curly Chalker, or Robert Randolph) that would be exceeding 100 continuous watts in normal playing. The vast majority of Steelers, probably 98%, would typically be playing in the 25-60 watt region at a gig, and 10 watts or less at home.

In a playing context, speakers are almost always damaged by excessive bass, distortion, or feedback, none of which is in the character of the typical pedal steeler.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 8:16 am    

Replacing the 'Blue Marvel' with a speaker with a neo magnet may reduce the weight by five pounds or more. Would appear to be a much lower cost alternative to purchasing custom built cabinets.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 11:57 am    

Junior Knight had his NV112 split and it worked great.
You will need a new cabinet for the speaker. the cabinet needs to be sized properly to keep the NV112 tone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Nigel Mullen

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 3:11 pm    

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I'm gonna have to think this thing over a bit before making any changes. The 100 watt Katana may be the best way to go. Anyhow, folks, thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my final decision. NM

Danny Sherbon

San Angelo, TX
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 4:47 pm     Split

If you do decide to go the split route let me know, I do have a head cabinet for a NV 112