The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The L.A. Band from 1993
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2024 10:38 am    

This project was recently posted from its original format recorded in 1993. The southern Louisiana based musicians who participated are listed below with some accompanying information about them—per my aging memory.

We used to get together on local gigs from approx. mid-November to the end of January.(when some of us were back home from the touring season). This recording was done as a fun project with some of us going in at different times. It was recorded on 2” tape. I recorded my parts in less than an hour. I rushed in on a Friday afternoon and Joe “Lil Joe” Manuel was kind enough to allow me to interrupt his time so I could do my part and speed off to my son’s birthday party. If you love music you should find something on it that you like. We were experimenting with various licks, progressions, etc. from a myriad of genres and applying them.

The musicians:
-Joe Manuel-lead guitar: long career playing for several notable artists including Conway Twitty and (more recently) George Strait.
-Abe Manuel-fiddle: same as his brother, Joe, and toured several years with Merle Haggard. He also produced one of Merle’s CD’s.
-Johnny Carpenter-fiddle: was Tracy Byrd’s long time band manager, has been a Nashville based player for decades
-Billy Carpenter-drums: Tracy Byrd’s drummer throughout the 90’s and early 2000’s
-Tim Broussard-accordion, vocals,bass: toured for Mark Chesnut as his bassist and accordionist for most of the 90’s; later played bass for Wayne Toups and ZydeCajun
-Belton Richard-guest vocalist: Cajun Music superstar/legend
-Danny Cooley-keyboard: comprehensive south Louisiana gigging experience
-Danny Thibodeaux-rythm guitar: extensive south Louisiana player
-John Hebert-accordion/vocals: lifetime of gigging in south Louisiana Swamp-Pop and Cajun bands as a multi-instrumental utility player
-Marty Broussard-pedal steel: I was an original member of Mark Chesnut’s New South Band in the late 80’s. Played/recorded with several Louisiana & Texas based artists. Eventually toured with Wayne Toups & ZydeCajun and Tracy Byrd until retiring in early 2022.
(I didn’t leave home to tour as long as our kids were still at home. So from 1986 to 2013 I played mostly regionally.)

Hope you enjoy the music.

https://youtu.be/8BJ0u9dDjCk?feature=shared

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 4:49 am    

Enjoy this very much, Marty! If it was released on CD I would buy it in a minute.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2024 11:26 am    

I only listened to a small portion, but it's fabulous!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days