The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Lindley's tunings
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 7:30 am    

From an email David Lindley sent me way back in 2007:

Quote:
"A lot of people ask me what tunings I use, especially on Jackson Browne's music. I had about four or five Rickenbachers, Nationals etc. tuned to the same relationship up one half step or down from each other. The tuning was, from low to high: EBEG#BE. or GDGBDG or FCFACF. I learned this tuning from Johnny Thompson way back in the 60's. The third is where it is to fortify the fourths and fifths and not muddy up the bottom when it's played with distortion. In the E tuning it is also just like guitar positions, the 5th fret is an A major chord, the 7th fret is a B major chord. Then there are the three open string combinations that give you octaves. Cool runnings. D.L.
"

Daniel Flanigan

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 1:10 pm    

Those tunings, of course, are correct. However, Mr. Lindley left out two of the tunings he used the most with Jackson, High Open G (G,D,G,B,D,G) and Open A (A,E,A,C#,E,A). David used the high G on songs like "The Load Out/Stay" and he used open A on most of the songs on the "Running on Empty" album. I use both of these tunings regularly, and they're some of my favorites. They do require pretty light strings, I use Ernie Ball regular guitar strings, 11 gauge for high G and 10 gauge for open A. RIP to the great David Lindley.

Last edited by Daniel Flanigan on 2 Feb 2024 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 4:13 pm    

I got a chance to speak with David Lindley after a gig one time. When I told him I play lap steel he perked right up. We talked for a good 20 minutes about gear and what not. A real nice guy, very warm and friendly.

He said one of the reasons he liked the Bakelites was they could handle the string tension when he tuned up to those high tunings. He said the high string would last one day.

David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2024 6:28 pm    

Oh, if I only had to learn one tuning!