The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C chord on 12th fret in C6 Tuning
John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 7:40 pm    

Why does my C major chord seem dull and not bright on the 12th fret? It seems as if there is some type of harmonic interference going on that takes the brightness of the chord sounding away. Has anyone else noticed this or understands what I am experiencing? Is there a solution for better sound here. I was thinking about going to a different tuning but my mind is now so ingrained in C6 that this would be futile at this point in my life. Most popular keys involve extensive use of the C chord. Thank you for any thoughts that might help me here.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 8:08 pm    

What kind of steel is it? I've never had a problem with just the 12th fret.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2024 8:19 pm    

Make sure you are damping the strings well with your hand behind the bar.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 3:45 am    

There’s nothing about the physics of the notes that would cause this. Sounds like the guitar. Try tuning in just intonation.. A 22.5 will ring a bit less than longer scales.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 4:02 am    

There will naturally be more ‘harmonic interference’ at the 12th fret as by the design of the scale length that is the major harmonic point - that’s why it’s so easy to play harmonics there. I would suggest not trying to play FULL 6 string chords past the 12th as I feel the bass string just don’t do well with the reduced vibration needed - a bass string needs room to vibrate
The 12th fret is the 1/2 way of the scale length- a 22.5” scale at the 12th will be 11.25” Between the nut and bridge

Of course poor blocking doesn’t help mask either

You could try a heavier bar like a PSG weight to experiment if that eliminates it

Tune it to A6 and see if the issue remains

I did read an interview with the great Joaquin Murphy where he said the first Bigsby steel he had made had a dead spot at the 12th fret so anything is possible - but it’s more likely issue #1

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 4:25 am    

12th fret...octave harmonics...what Glenn said...damp the strings behind the bar with your trailing fingers. It's not the tuning...it's a natural occurence on all stringed instruments...and more noticeable playing one with no frets.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 12:31 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
I've never had a problem with just the 12th fret.

Nor have I.

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 12:55 pm    

You have to love this forum. Special thanks to ones who told me to dampen well the strings behind the bar. That definitely was my problem.

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 8:13 am    

Update: Although blocking behind the bar cleaned up the sound I am seeking to a degree, I am still not satisfied with the voicing on the 12th fret. I am going to change my tuning to either a B6 or a C#6 using the same intervals. I think the string gages can handle the half-step adjustment. I wouldn't think with all of the fine musicians on this forum that I am not the first to have tried this. Thoughts or comments?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 10:33 pm    

John D. Carter wrote:
Update: Although blocking behind the bar cleaned up the sound I am seeking to a degree, I am still not satisfied with the voicing on the 12th fret. I am going to change my tuning to either a B6 or a C#6 using the same intervals. I think the string gages can handle the half-step adjustment. I wouldn't think with all of the fine musicians on this forum that I am not the first to have tried this. Thoughts or comments?

Go ahead... I'm pretty sure you'll find the same issues. The 12th fret is a known spot for 'wolf tones' etc... you *really* have to block well there... like more than a finger, your whole palm, as much as you can get on there. Best to spread several fingers out and have the bar under your forefinger.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 3:56 am    

Some players take advantage of this harmonically rich fret, here is Jerry Byrd ... lifting his trailing fingers ... to get an "effect" at the beginning of a phrase ... right around 1:52 and 2:34 ...

https://youtu.be/6dajjsyR-PU?si=OWK09mxvegzi3LZb

Mr. Green

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 4:14 am    

I could be wrong but I was assuming that the OP was thinking of tuning the guitar up or down not to cure the tones at the 12th fret but to achieve a C chord at the 11th or 13th fret.

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2024 7:20 pm    

What Jon Light says. A B6 or C#6 tuning will give a healthier sounding C chord. Useful when playing in keys of C, F, and G. No relearning necessary.

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2024 12:21 pm    

I have moved to C#6 for a better sounding C chord imho.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2024 10:24 am    

No need to re-tune. Just play the song in a different key - C# or B.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

John D. Carter

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2024 11:29 am    

Not when you need to play in the key of G.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2024 12:10 pm    

OK, I understand your issue now. I'm talking pedal steels but when I played U12s the C position comparable to a straight tuning or conventional C on a D10, I tuned the D10s C neck to
B but not for that reason.

Maybe it's different with fixed tunings or the way you play, but I still found I couldn't avoid the 12th fret harmonic when playing certain inversions, fills, chords etc.

It's just the nature of the beast and with many imperfections on all steel guitars, like Bruce Bouton once said, you just have to work things out in spite of them.

Good luck with your situation though.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 5:35 am    

I've experienced this too with various guitars more than the other. The physics are kind of interesting, I'm guessing it has something to do with the string on each side of the bar vibrating at the same frequency, and somehow sapping the strength from the main "picked up" side? Which is why damping the strings behind the bar is so critical?

A fun trick is to bar a 12th fret chord and play the strings (undamped) behind the bar. I remember hearing recordings of Basil Henriques doing this and thinking it was some weird chorus effect he had switched on. Also works at frets 5 and 7...but your bar has to be -spot on- for it to sound good.