The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson 8-string Console
Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 10:53 am    

I just got very lucky and found a used Jackson Steel 8-string non-pedal console in near-mint condition on Guitar Center's website. It's a 2011 "Shot Jackson Commemorative" with the gloss finished maple cabinet, comparable to Jackson's current Pro V Classic model. It seems they have made very few non-pedal guitars--I can only find online photos for fewer than a dozen, and maybe only five of them being 8-string models. Redburst front, beautiful bird's-eye maple cabinet, 60's style angular Gumby keyhead. It has that Sho-Bud tone and plays like butter! I just restrung it today and will shoot and post some clips.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 11:12 am    

That's very cool. GC is about the last place I'd expect to see one. Congratulations.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 4:34 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
That's very cool. GC is about the last place I'd expect to see one. Congratulations.

Thanks Jack. Yes I’ve found a lot of cool gear on GC online but wasn’t looking for or expecting this. Not even sure why it popped up. Maybe Siri heard me say “steel guitar” out loud and decided to help. LOL

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 4:50 pm    

Beautiful instrument! I love the vintage look of the key head and the tuners.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 5:34 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Beautiful instrument! I love the vintage look of the key head and the tuners.

Thanks Doug! Yes, very old school with the more angular Permanent-era style key head The tuners are Grovers - they appear to be their classic Sta-Tite with the butterbean knobs, updated to a tighter (18:1) gear ratio. Extremely smooth and stable.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 12:49 pm    

That's a beauty!

As far as Guitar Center being the last place to see a guitar like this, sometimes you get lucky. If you're a regular "scanner" of Guitar Center sites you might find every so often a good deal on something where their expertise is lacking and they just want to move it out of the store.

I have a story from several years ago of finding a great deal on a slightly used Asher Ben Harper signature model lap steel online at the Nashville Guitar Center. The story didn't end well because the guy that was supposed to pull it off the showroom floor after I spoke to him, and I reserved it and did the credit card transaction - he screwed up badly and it got sold out from under me by another employee. It was $1500 for a guitar at the time went for $3400 as new.

The Guitar Center guy told me that a famous musician whose name I would know brought it in toward a trade and was a frequent customer. But even in Nashville they were pretty clueless about high end lap steels so they priced it to get it out the door quickly.

At the end of this debacle the dude had the audacity to ask me if I would like to leave the money I had already sent them on the credit card transaction to use as credit for a future purchase.

Unbelievable.

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 4:53 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
That's a beauty!

As far as Guitar Center being the last place to see a guitar like this, sometimes you get lucky. If you're a regular "scanner" of Guitar Center sites you might find every so often a good deal on something where their expertise is lacking and they just want to move it out of the store.

I hear you, Mark. I understand that all their vintage items are vetted and priced by Hollywood by way of photos and descriptions. I’ve found and purchased many great vintage amps and guitars from GC. They really don’t know steels and did get two great deals a while back. About 6 years ago I got a near mint 1976 Sho-Bud Pro-1, green, 3 and 2–transition era: square front, Gumby headstock and wide pedals. $899–maverick pricing! And s few years ago I found a Remington Steelmaster D-8 for $499–and bonus—it came with a Peavey effects unit !

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 11:10 pm    

I got a matching Supro 6-string and 5x7" tube amp for $350 from GC... I forget where, it was an extra 25$ shipping but it arrived in great shape. Has a case too! The little amp is a screamer with a pedal in front of it... octal tubes, so early 50's I think. The deals are out there, you just have to watch.

Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2024 1:31 pm    

I stumbled on my ZB in Guitar Center when I went in to buy an XLR snake. It wasn’t a great deal, but it wasn’t bad. And I really, really love it, so definitely worked out well! It’s beautiful and a tone beast.

Best deal I ever got at GC was a fine handmade guitar, well worn but in good playing condition, for $49! A couple of luthiers think it was probably a student-built guitar from the nearby Red Wing luthier school. It didn’t have any sort of label or brand, so they priced it for almost nothing. What it did have was a redwood top and a koa back…

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders

Nelson Checkoway

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2024 6:37 am    

Dave Stagner wrote:
I stumbled on my ZB in Guitar Center when I went in to buy an XLR snake. It wasn’t a great deal, but it wasn’t bad. And I really, really love it, so definitely worked out well! It’s beautiful and a tone beast.

Best deal I ever got at GC was a fine handmade guitar, well worn but in good playing condition, for $49! A couple of luthiers think it was probably a student-built guitar from the nearby Red Wing luthier school. It didn’t have any sort of label or brand, so they priced it for almost nothing. What it did have was a redwood top and a koa back…

Wow, Dave – those sound like two great deals! Guitar Center also errs in the other direction IMHO. They recently listed a Sho-Bud D-10 as a “Pro 2” for $2000– which would have been a great price, except it was actually a Baldwin era crossover, which can sell for up to $2K, but they are heavy, unreliable, candidates for conversion and they usually linger in the teens.

However, I saw that somebody did snag it a few days ago and – lo and behold – they’ve listed it on reverb for $6K!! Good luck with that.

Back to non-pedal guitars — I also got a late 50s Magnatone G65 8-string lap steel from GC for $400. Plenty of deals there if you look for ‘em.