The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  retro Fender 1000 playing
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 5:43 am    

Seen these guys on YT several times, and always liked them.. Love what the steel player does,, fits this particular band like a glove. Not sure a fancy rig with big power, "massive tone" and "infinite sustain" would be appropriate.... These guys make some very lovely music.. Love the singer... With a name like Reeb, how could you possibly go wrong?... There's quite a bit on YT with this band and its all enjoyable.. Not sure if this is the the steel guy's actual style, or if its a shtick for this band, but personally, I miss this type of playing.. bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3xiuUNB_YM

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 6:21 am    

That's Russ "Rusty" Blake from Portland. I think he sold that 1000. In the video he added two strings to the top (E9) neck and used an old ShoBud pickup. The back neck has an old Fender trapezoid pickup. He's been seen playing Bigsby's, ShoBud Perms, etc. Heck of a nice guy and first rate picker.

Last edited by Dave Zirbel on 19 Dec 2023 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 8:57 am    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
That's Russ "Rusty" Blake from Portland. I think he sold that 1000. In the video he added two strings to the top (E9) neck and used an old ShoBud pickup. The back neck has an old Fender trapezoid pickup. He been seen playing Bigsby's, ShoBud Perms, etc. Heck of a nice guy and first rate picker.

Thanks dave... you know, when I first saw the vid, I thought, "wow that 1000 E9 neck has 10 strings!"... Then I thought "nah can't be", and never thought about it after that... Wondered about the pickup as well, only red one I ever saw was on an old marlen, never saw one that color on a Bud... anyway, I like what Russ layed down with this band.... bob

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2023 6:53 pm    

I’m with you Bob, love this band and I had the same question about the Fender. I think it may have been Dave who answered my question as well, or someone equally knowledgeable

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 4:17 pm    

Those old cable Fenders have a lot of good music in them, and you might not impress every pedal steeler with one. But, you might get compliments from singers, other musicians, and...the audience. Wink

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 10:45 am    

Rusty sold the 1000 to me about six years ago and I still have it. It’s a very cool guitar! Very early with a low serial number, too.

He made a ten string keyhead that fits within the cavity of the stock keyhead, and it’s currently set up with two pickups (one for ten strings on E9 and one for eight strings on C6) he built. The E9 pickup cavity was widened just barely to accept the wider pickup.

Also, the guitar has a knee lever he added at LKR that lowers 2 and 8. Currently there’s no F knee lever, but it could be done so long as 4 doesn’t lower on a different lever. Maybe I’ll add the F lever someday.

The nut is from a Maverick and the roller bridge has an extended rod and an extra roller on either side for strings 1 and 10 to fit. Currently only string 5 raises on the A pedal, but I’ve considered flipping strings 9 and 10 with each other so the low B could raise to C# on string 9. Standard ABC Emmons pedals, C6 changes are standard pedals 5-8 changes.

He had C6 tuned high G, low A. I have it tuned high E, low F. It’s a cool guitar that covers a lot of ground while keeping that old Fender tone!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 11:34 am    

hi Chris,, thanks for the reply.. Glad that very cool old guitar went to a good home where its appreciated.... You know what would be REALLY cool?... Pulling that old Fender out for a song or two with Marty!... btw,You guys are terrific, and you're keepin' the music real, in a world full of posers... bob

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 10:18 pm    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
hi Chris,, thanks for the reply.. Glad that very cool old guitar went to a good home where its appreciated.... You know what would be REALLY cool?... Pulling that old Fender out for a song or two with Marty!... btw,You guys are terrific, and you're keepin' the music real, in a world full of posers... bob

That’s a yes please from me too

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 3:21 am    

Thanks for pointing us all in the direction of this great band. Really heart-warming feel-good music that needs to be explored further!