The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Baldwin Amps and Willie
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 7:30 am    

Back in the 60's I worked part time for a Houston music store, Bert Lynn Music. The store was a dealer for the new Baldwin guitars and amps. Interestingly the late Paul Buskirk, who co-wrote Night Life with Willie, also worked there. And on the recent TV show of Willie's 90th birthday, I noticed Willie's amp on stage was a Baldwin I think Paul sold Willie the Baldwin amp back then
and Willie still uses it along with his ageless Martin classic guitar, "Trigger".
This post is just a bit of trivia, but I am amazed that Willie still uses that old Baldwin with so many newer choices.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 9:47 am    

I forgot where I read it, but there is a story somewhere about Willie and his Baldwins. Maybe I'll run across it again some time.

Amazing how some artists are locked in to a certain guitar, amp etc.

I noticed his sons are using the old Magnatone amps. Whatever works I guess.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 9:55 am     Hey There

I recall some old videos of Willie's early Nashville days where he is playing a Baldwin guitar.

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 11:27 am     Hey There

The Magnatone amps are still available. I saw them listed at Sweetwater Music and they are not at all cheap.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 12:14 pm    

I think Willie's devotion to Baldwin amps mainly has to do with the rare Baldwin Prismatone pickup that he had mounted on Trigger after his Baldwin guitar was stepped on by a drunk. The preamp for that pickup is mounted in the guitar and gets it's power from the main amp through a special guitar cable. That's the way he's done it since the late 60's and it isn't likely to change!

Here's an interesting article if you can stand the constantly loading ads:

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/story-of-willie-nelsons-trigger-most-famous-acoustic-guitar/

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 12:49 pm     Re: Hey There

Jim Saunders wrote:
The Magnatone amps are still available. I saw them listed at Sweetwater Music and they are not at all cheap.

The new Magnatone amps have nothing to do with the old ones. Different company, different circuits, different sounds.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 12:47 pm     Re: Baldwin Amps and Willie

Jim Saunders wrote:
Back in the 60's I worked part time for a Houston music store, Bert Lynn Music.

Jim, were you familiar with Parker Music in Houston?

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=392177&highlight=parker+music

Jim Saunders wrote:
I recall some old videos of Willie's early Nashville days where he is playing a Baldwin guitar.

Like this one?

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2023 8:28 pm     Willie’s Baldwin Amp

As was said earlier in this thread, Willie’s amp and pickup are the key to “Trigger’s” amplified sound. With that said, and from personal experience (courtesy of Poody Locke), I can tell you Willie’s Baldwin amp does NOT help the sound of a pedal steel guitar. 😂

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2024 6:32 pm    

I had one of those Baldwin amps back in the 60s. I still have a Baldwin 700 series bass from 1967.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 6:08 am    

If memory serves, I think he has two of those Baldwin amps, and no one is allowed near them but Willie & his tech.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 7:55 am     Re: Willie’s Baldwin Amp

Glenn Suchan wrote:
As was said earlier in this thread, Willie’s amp and pickup are the key to “Trigger’s” amplified sound. With that said, and from personal experience (courtesy of Poody Locke), I can tell you Willie’s Baldwin amp does NOT help the sound of a pedal steel guitar.

I agree. I think Willie’s tone has a lot more to do with his guitar than with his amp. Laughing

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 11:13 am    

A lot of it is Willie's picking attack. It's like the pickup can't absorb the pressure of initial attack, but a nano second later the note blossoms. Notice if he picks soft, the note is clear, but if he picks hard, there is a natural compression.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 6:02 pm    

The pickup in Trigger is a Baldwin "Prismatone" pickup. Jerry Reed also used this same pickup. The "Prismatone" is a match to the Baldwin amp. Probably explains why the long term combination.

More on that here: https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~scherer/prismatone.htm

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2024 11:22 pm     Willie and Trigger

'purchased from Shot Jackson in 1969.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=history+of+trigger+willie+nelson&mid=8CF23B9EFC328F7430C68CF23B9EFC328F7430C6&FORM=VIRE

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 8:33 pm    

Pete McAvity wrote:
If memory serves, I think he has two of those Baldwin amps, and no one is allowed near them but Willie & his tech.

Yeah, Pete. I thought the same thing when Poodie invited me to use Willie’s amp.

The situation was; I was playing in Kevin Fowler’s band and we were sharing a show with Willie Nelson at Auditorium Shores, in Austin. We (the band) were going directly in the front of house mixing board (we used no amps on stage). The late Poodie Locke, Willie’s road manager and golfing Buddy came up to me when we were doing a sound check and asked where my amp was. When I told him we were going direct to the board he said, something to the effect of, “Steel guitars don’t sound good going direct. Plug into Willie’s amp”. I said I didn’t think Willie would appreciate my use of his amp. Poodie said, “It’s okay. Go ahead and use it.”

I played our set using Willie’s amp and I cringed the whole time. Maybe, if I had a Baldwin “Prismatone” pickup like Willie has in Trigger it would have sounded better. 😂

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn