The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel guitar jam in Oklahoma City OK
Richard Foster

Blanchard Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2024 9:44 am    

I understand there use to be steel guitar jam in Dell City Oklahoma at the Oklahoma country music museum,. That jam no longer happens been defunct now for several years. I am interested in getting that started again. The phone number for the country music meusium no longer is valid.
trying to fin some of the regular folks who use to attend, and contact any of orginal organizers . Have contacted one but he is in a senior living home and not doing well, and so far hasn't returned my phone call.

So if anyone is in the Oklahoma City area is interested in starting that back up or would attend , if it got started again , please contact me. We can go from there. I am a man on a mission and willing to do leg work to try and get this going again. So any imformation would be greatly appreciated. Especially any of the old organizers, all help appreciated.

Thanks Rich Foster

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 6:01 pm    

Richard, are you unaware of the Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association? Beverly Harris is the President and doing a fine job. Yearly show in Jenks Oklahoma.

Richard Foster

Blanchard Oklahoma
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2024 7:01 pm     steel guitar Jam

Hi Larry, yes I am aware of OSGA and have been there a couple of times, and yes she does a great job. As mentioned there use to be one in the OKC area. I was hoping to get a jam started in OKC area, . I am not intending for it to be in compition with their events. It's a two hour drive up and two hour drive back , so trying to get something started closer to home.

Thanks Rich Foster

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2024 6:45 pm    

Richard, no offense intended. I remember the show in Oklahoma city. It's great that you're trying to start another club. Far too many have disappeared in the last few years. I lived for the ISGC here in St Louis every year. With it gone I try to attend any within a reasonable driving range.

Richard Foster

Blanchard Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 9:31 am     Oklahoma jam session

Good morning Larry , you are right . I am 71 and just started on the steel guitar, have always loved the sound of a steel guitar. I still play and sing, but not professionally in years. Hoping to get a steel guitar jam started, so people can enjoy the music, maybe get some new folks interested, and last but not least maybe get some pointers. The steel can be pretty intimidating. So I am also looking for a mentor/ r
teacher. Again thanks and Enjoy your day. Stay warm and safe.

Rich Foster

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 10:24 am    

Richard - I attended those jams in the past. Send a PM to Ken Hoyt. He was one of the early organizers. Leroy Wood was another main guy. He'd love to get together again, but at 91 it's hard for him to get to places to play without help.

The last one I attended was about 4 years ago. At 66 years old then I was about the third youngest guy there!