The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Hawtness for Newbies (Squareneck)
Brian Dellinger

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 8:44 am    

Hi, everyone.

Just picked up my first stringed instrument (squareneck/dobro) and stumbled into this forum while looking for resources.

I lead music in our church (semi-contemporary), so that'll likely be the first place I try to make any contribution on this new instrument. Which, of course, means a lot of ii and vi stuff... Beyond that, I'm looking forward to picking some bluegrass-ish stuff along with Spotify and other human beings if I ever get coordinated.

In my younger years, I was a saxophone/clarinet player with some time on the road and in the studio. My reading and theory chops are rusty, but still solid. Unfortunately, none of that helps my extreme lack of technique for making my hands do this fancy, plucky stuff.

Based on recommendations I found elsewhere, I've ordered Stacey Phillips two starter books (_The Dobro Book_ and _The Complete Dobro Player_) out of the gate.

Anyway, I thought I'd post and see if anyone had any particular suggestions or resources for a beginner in my situation. Would welcome any suggestions or resources... Compared to when I was learning my 'first' instrument, we live in an age of wonders with the Youtubes and all. Would love being pointed to stuff that seems to be proven worthwhile.

Nice to meet you all.

- Brian (Windsor, VT)

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 1:57 pm    

Welcome to the madness, Brian! I learned a lot from watching Troy Brinningmeyer lessons. Books from Andy Volk are also great. I'm not a bluegrass player so there are others I'm sure that I'm not aware of. Best of luck and have fun.

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 3:08 pm    

Hey Brian,

Welcome to the world of square neck resonator, it can be lots of fun. Stacey Philips' "Complete Dobro Player" is a great resource but I wouldn't call it a starter book. I think you would be better served by delving into Michael Witcher's "Resonator Guitar: Tunes, Techniques & Practice Skills." Particularly useful is his emphasis on Rolls and how to apply them to Bluegrass tunes, which you expressed an interest in. Keep at it and have a good time.

Ian

Brian Dellinger

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2024 7:43 pm    

Joe Cook wrote:
I learned a lot from watching Troy Brinningmeyer lessons.
I had seen some of Troy's videos on YouTube when I was just reading up on steel guitars in general. Being the old man I am, I had thought to just start with a book. But, Troy's running a promo on his site right now so I decided to just go ahead and buy in. Thanks for the tip!

Ian wrote:
Stacey Philips' "Complete Dobro Player" is a great resource but I wouldn't call it a starter book. I think you would be better served by delving into Michael Witcher's "Resonator Guitar: Tunes, Techniques & Practice Skills."
Heh. Yeah. Having spent time today looking at his book in more detail, you're absolutely right. It was shooting too high for me out of the gate. Interesting, so is the 'prequel' book (_The Dobro Book_) that he references. I'm going to order the Witcher book right now and will work it in amongst the Troy videos.

Thank you both, Joe & Ian, for your replies!!