The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Pro 1 knee lever help
Dr Jesse Deux

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 3:08 pm    

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and new to pedal steel. Been playing banjo mandolin and lap steel D tuning for a while. Just bought a ShoBud pro 1 with 3 pedals and 2 knee levers....the right one does lower E strings to D#. The left one only changes the 4th string from E to F. Is that the common setup for this pro1?
Should I find parts and rods to change both E strings...any other advice...any other pedals I should definitely incorporate in the set up. Open to suggestions and direction on where to buy parts

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 6:25 am    

I would definitely add the E to F on string 8 if you can find parts.

You can post a "wanted to buy" ad in the Wanted to Buy section of the forum. You will need to know what type of undercarriage your guitar has (rack & barrel, 2-hole pullers, Super-Pro [pot metal parts with hexagonal cross shafts]). Pictures of the undercarraige will help a lot.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 8:21 am    

What Richard said. For me, E lever raise 4 & 8 is as important as the E lowers. Adding it to the 8th string would be a must for me.

One can play a lot of stuff with just those 2 levers and 3 pedals particularly once you know and understand the guitar tuning.

Dr Jesse Deux

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 5:20 pm     Sho Bud Pro 1 knee lever help

Here is the undercarriage...let me what I would need....if you can see.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 9:20 pm    

Since the knee lever and cross shaft is already there, you just need the 2 hole puller and the rod. The rod will probably be the hardest to find if it is the kind with the metal hex head type tuner. Try advertising for those parts in the Wanted to Buy section. You just need to measure the length of the rod on the 4th string. A longer rod will work and could be cut down if needed. If it has nylon tuners in the changer, which this one might as I don't see brass barrel tuners behind the 2 hole pullers, just get a 2 hole puller, a rod from a hardware store, thread it and get a nylon tuner.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 8:33 am    

it’s two hole pullers, so it’s a standard rod, threaded on one end with a nylon tuner.
i had parts made my taking lots of pictures and taking the existing knee lever parts
to a machinist.

Dr Jesse Deux

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2024 4:20 pm    

I feel fortunate to start with this beautifull 1977 model. in the future i think i like the Rittenberry guitars What are you guys thoughts

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 5:15 pm    

Got no experience with the Ritt, but have read only good things. All acounts here put it up there in the top tier of pro guitars.

That's a beautiful litte Pro 1 you have there and a good one.
Don't be too quick to discount the qualities of it and just those 2 knees.

I have found over 45 years of pedal steel that many of us overlook the advantage of actually learning the neck and locations of all the notes etc. and go straight to adding a lot of knee levers. Nothing wrong with that as it makes getting certain combinations and phrasing that can't be done otherwise.

I'm used to playing loaded up D10s, but am wrangling a basic 4 knee D10 setup lately. I do miss some stuff, but in the long run it makes me think a little harder about the actual tuning and structure.

Best of Luck. Happy Steelin.

Dr Jesse Deux

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 5:33 pm    

That is a very good advice and I'm agreeing 100%. Just nice to look at eye candy

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 5:36 pm    

The parts, if available, would likely cost $150-$200 per lever. Though it could be upgraded, you'd probably be better off investing in another guitar. Pull/release guitars just aren't very popular these days.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 11:15 pm    

Unless you're seeing something I'm not, this is an all pull guitar typical of all Pro series Sho~Buds....not pull and release.

Derek Puckett

Cookeville Tn
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 10:50 pm    

I would love to help you out if I can. Call me anytime after 8:30