The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Changer Grooves
Andrew Lodge

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 6:32 pm    

I recently bought a guitar with some grooves in the aluminum finger changers. This is my first pedal steel, so I didn’t know that this could be an issue to look out for. I have not yet changed the strings, but I see that they have been strategically positioned to avoid these grooves, so presumably they are deep enough to cause a problem. Some are worse than others but all are obvious when running a fingernail across.

I’ve read all the info I could find on this forum, and am girding myself to tackle the issue. I know to be very careful to follow the radius and avoid causing any flat spots. My game-plan is to first mask between and around the fingers, then use a Scotch-Brite pad followed by 1000+ grit wet/dry, and finally buff with a felt pad with a Dremel. I’m also considering using some Mothers polish, but not sure if there’s any real benefit or if it would be feasible without disassembling.

Anyway…I’m just looking for either confirmation or warning against this method — and would also appreciate any advice (even things that seem completely obvious) for what to do or NOT to do!

Andrew Lodge

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 6:52 pm    

Also, there is a gap at one end of the changer axel. The mounting hardware seems to be in the original position, so I would assume either the fingers or spacers have been replaced? They seem to be functioning correctly (but, again,I am a complete greenhorn), so I’m not sure if this is something to be concerned about.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 9:50 pm    

From the picture, It looks like a GFI Student model. Something looks missing or removed from changer. And the strings do not line up with the magnets in the pickup.

If it is a GFI. I would suggest you go to their website and E-mail GFI, Send them the picture you have posted here, Of the changer And explain the problem. They can tell you what is missing and needs to solve the problem.
Those metal Washer looking things, Are the top of the changer fingers that raises the strings.

With the groove problem, Do not use Scotch Bright on the groves. It could form into the groves and make them deeper, and not remove the groves.
I suggest only use sand paper, Backed by a Straight flat backer like a piece of wood or metal To remove the groves. Then finer sand paper and polish.

It may take a some work to get the guitar back to playing shape.
Good Luck and Happy Steelin.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2024 11:18 pm    

Andrew, just to clarify slightly...

I agree with Bobby to not use Scotch-Brite to polish changer-fingers.

I've always used at least a 600 grit emery cloth (best) to polish the tops of changer-fingers. A less optimal alternative is at least 600 grit "WetOrDry" sandpaper.

An 800 or 1000 grit leaves even a finer finish, but requires a lot more elbow grease if used alone.

It is my understanding that emery cloth is designed for polishing metal, while "WetOrDry" sandpaper is designed for fine-sanding wood and can leave more grit behind when polishing metal.

- Dave

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 9:48 am    

Yes to 600 grit.

And if you use 'wet' sandpaper, be sure to, well... get it wet. This prevents filings from falling into the changer.

Most important point: be very careful when you sand. You must sand in a way that maintains the arc of the top of the finger. Do NOT sand a flat spot on top or you'll make the problem worse. You'll need to work on the shoulders the same amount as the top to keep that arc. If you have room to do so, you can do a shoe-shine motion.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 9:54 am    

Setting the strings off center like that is not a solution. Right hand picking accuracy is already difficult enough with perfect string spacing, and next to impossible with sloppy spacing.

I got tired of sanding the aluminum fingers every 6 months on my steels , so I bought a Williams. It wasn’t the cheapest solution, but it was final and infinitely less aggravating.

I understand that the aluminum finger supposedly produces a more desirable tone than steel, and cuts down on changer weight. But the groove-wear is a very good indication of a design flaw if you ask me. I have no idea what could be done with an aluminum changer finger to eliminate this problem, but it obviously is a builder oversight that is left to the player to deal with.

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 10:14 am    

Having worked on steels of all different designs and vintages, it seems the mild grooving present on all changer fingers produces no negative affects. There are exceptions of course, but I have handled 50 year old instruments with significant wear on them that showed no obvious ills and sounded great.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 10:57 am    

Dave Magram wrote:

It is my understanding that emery cloth is designed for polishing metal, while "WetOrDry" sandpaper is designed for fine-sanding wood and can leave more grit behind when polishing metal.

That's not really true. "Wet-or-dry" sandpaper works well used either wet or dry, and it has three important advantages. The first is that it doesn't load up or clog like regular sandpaper if you use it wet. The second is that the backing and glue that hold the grit are waterproof, and they do not degrade when wet. And the third is that the grit is far less likely to come off.

Also, it's important to remember two things when sanding the tops of the fingers. The first that the radius or round surface must be maintained! If you make a flat spot where the string sits, you'll lose sustain and the string may exhibit a whining buzz when played. The second thing to remember is to mask off between the fingers before you start sanding or polishing. Any grit or polishing compound that is allowed to get between the fingers will accelerate wear of the finger and changer axle.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2024 12:16 pm    

Kelcey ONeil wrote:
Having worked on steels of all different designs and vintages, it seems the mild grooving present on all changer fingers produces no negative affects. There are exceptions of course, but I have handled 50 year old instruments with significant wear on them that showed no obvious ills and sounded great.

All due respect - and I don’t use the phrase lightly, considering you are the owner of Emmons Guitar Co., but isn’t the “string zing” sound produced on plain strings by those grooves considered an undesirable effect?