The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mystery Parts
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 5:25 am    

Actually, the parts are bolts, washers and nylon locking nuts in the rear apron. No mystery at all about that.
And they are here because ....... Question Question

The mica was delaminating quite a bit in this area. I do NOT want to believe that this was someone's solution to that.
Because it took all of 3 minutes to get glue in there and clamp it up.

I'm at a loss as to why this clean Fessenden D-10 that just arrived on my bench for maintenance/setup/sale has this bit of hardware. It was not added by the current owner. I'm awaiting any possible further info from him.

I actually appreciate interesting solutions to individual needs -- "I needed to mount xxxxx to the rear apron". I do stuff like that.

But it's just not coming to me what that might have been.
Anybody have an imaginative suggestion?

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2024 8:03 am    

I refurbished and re-mica’d a ‘70 S-10 fatback that had 3 holes drilled through the top deck near the keyhead to mount a microphone. Mind boggling to try and comprehend why some people do what they do. Laughing

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 5:21 pm     Hole.

True story. Leo Fender took Ralph Mooney a new Fender. Leo in turn took Moon's homemade steel to the factory to determine how he was getting "that tone". While Leo had his steel Moon decided he wanted another string on the new Fender. So instead of calling Leo he knew how to put a string on a steel. He drilled a hole right through the neck along side a keyhead. When Leo heard about that he went immediately and picked up his guitar. Needless to say Moon never played another Fender.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 6:57 pm    

David Higginbotham wrote:
I refurbished and re-mica’d a ‘70 S-10 fatback that had 3 holes drilled through the top deck near the keyhead to mount a microphone. Mind boggling to try and comprehend why some people do what they do. Laughing

Julian Tharp had this S20 MSA that he drilled the top and added a gooseneck mike stand:

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2024 10:10 pm    

Since it looks to be centered between the left and right knee levers, On the back apron. No marks from something attached to the inside. Could a bracket have been placed on the outside of the back apron, To attach some sort of a Harmonica holder. So a player could play steel and have a harmonica in playing position.

Or a microphone bracket, To sing or play Harmonica through.

Run out of Glue, Just drill and bolt the Formica back to the apron.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2024 1:14 am    

On a previous instrument I used to have a bracket to mount a stomp box. Screws preferable to holes?