Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Podcast Episode 4: Jeff Snyder, Electrosteel creator
Matt Perpick

Brooklyn, NY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 1:57 pm    

Hello!

Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Spotify

I'm very excited to share Episode 4 of Steel. I chat with Jeff Snyder, the director of Electronic music at Princeton University and the creator of the Electrosteel, a super cool new pedal steel synthesizer. The Electrosteel is played with a bar, has pedals and knee levers and looks like a pedal steel, but all the sound is generated electronically. Sometimes it sounds like a steel and sometimes it sounds like anything but.

Jeff is a pretty fascinating character and a bit of polymath. It takes a wide range of skills - understand the steel, circuits, hardware, software, music, etc - to pull off a project like this and Jeff made it happen. He's also a composer, a performer, designs other instruments and plays steel. We have a pretty wide-ranging chat about Jeff's musical life, his compositions, his instruments and of course, the we go pretty deep on origins and design of the Electrosteel. I am not a synth guy, so I learned a ton doing this interview and had a blast trying this fascinating new instrument.

I hope you all enjoy.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 9:53 am    

Thanks, Matt! I'm intrigued and will be listening to The Steel Guitar Podcast today.

Some interesting stuff there. November 30th episode with Jeff Snyder, November 1st episode with Steve Fishell.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 6:36 am    

Finally had time to listen all the way through -- really great interview! Having worked with many synths over the years (both as a musician and working with synth builders as a software engineer) I found Jeff's creativity, brilliance, and determination to be fascinating.

Thanks so much for conducting these great interviews Matt!

- Slim

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2023 9:32 am    

Jeff is an awesome and brilliant guy. I find what he's doing super exciting. The interview is fantastic, learned so much more about synths than I ever knew before.

Thanks to Matt for this awesome podcast series!

Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 8:07 am    

I enjoyed the interview very much. Shared with a talented high school senior I know who wants to double major in electrical engineering and jazz composition.

Ellen Angelico

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2024 6:39 pm    

Matt, this conversation was awesome. I loved learning from Jeff. I also really appreciated your questions! You are always a good conversationalist in the way you coax insights out of your guests (I especially enjoyed the Rich Hinman episode) but in this episode, you asked exactly the questions I was wondering! Like when he was demonstrating the first on-board synth sound and you asked if he could do it again with pedals and levers.

I can't wait for more episodes! Thanks for making such an interesting show.