The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup alignment and loss of volume from strings 1-3
Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 2:53 am    

I've always had the nagging feeling that strings 1-3 on my E9 neck come through noticeably quieter than the rest. I was thinking this might just be down to my lack of playing ability as a beginner, but as I've improved (a bit) the issue remains. This is a photo taken from directly above:

As you can see, the alignment between strings and pole pieces is out of kilter on that side of the fretboard. Would that be enough to cause something like this? And if so, is there any way to adjust the position of the pickup? It seems pretty firmly fixed in place and there isn't obviously space for it to move up or down across the fretboard. The pickup height is consistent across the board.

Would these be the original pickups for a mid-70s MSA Classic? Are they just the wrong size, or something?

The C6 neck has the same pickup and it's equally out of alignment, but I don't use that enough to know whether it has the same effect.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 8:34 am    

The pickup should be centered under the strings. In other words, the middle of the pickup casing should be lined up with the space between strings 5 & 6. The pole pieces might still not line up perfectly centered under each string, but they should be closer. That would be my suggestion for how a pickup should align (top to bottom in your pic).

I don’t see any adjusting screws, so your first job is to find them. Then move it over and adjust for height.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 8:47 am    

I was told when I bought a new pole pickup for my D-12 Dekley that the poles being off wouldn't make any difference. The Dekley has a narrow string spacing and that brought either the top or bottom pretty far off depending on how I placed it. There really isn't much wiggle room in that pickup cavity. I didn't think I noticed much at first but then after awhile the volume unevenness started annoying me. My solution was to go to a bar type pickup instead of poles and that definitely cleared up the problem to my ears.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 9:36 am    

It might help a bit to move the first string over to be centered on the changer surface. Or a bit off to the other side, even...

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 9:48 am    

The poles not being aligned with the strings will impact both the output signal and tone. MSA had a narrow string spacing and the pickup appears it was for a wider string spacing such as found on Shobud or Mullen. I’m not sure who made that particular pickup but I’d venture to say it isn’t an original MSA single coil.

Your best bet would be to replace the pickup with either a single coil that has narrow spacing and matches the strings. Or as already suggested… a humbucker blade pickup. There are used single coils available that I’m sure someone has sitting around. Or the maker of the reissued ZB pickups. He can custom build most any specs requested. Fixing the issue will make a world of difference in both your volume and tone! 🙂

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 10:00 am    

Thanks everyone. It's due for a re-string so I'll try to get the strings better centred on the changers when I do that. The pickups fit quite snugly into their cavities -- I don't know what possibilities for adjustment there are, but I can't see that there would be space for them to travel a quarter-inch or so towards the bass strings, which is what would be needed.

Replacement pedal steel pickups are not easy to come by here in the UK, but I guess they're easier to ship than an entire PSG!

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 10:00 am    

Upon looking closer at your pic…I see discrepancies where the string aren’t centered on the changer fingers. Particularly strings 1 & 4. Also looking at the ends of the pickup, it appears a measurable difference in the distance from the 1st & 10th poles to the end of the top plate on the pickup. It may be resolved by turning the pickup around and making sure the strings are in the center of the changer fingers. (They appear to be grooved somewhat so you may need to address that for excessive breaking and rattling or buzzing)

But it looks like the pickups MSA used on their early 70’s models and the pickup cavity is extremely limited. To place any other pickup in there would require you to use a router and expand the opening. It’s quite challenging and easy to make an error if you’re not accustomed to such detailed woodworking.

I’d say to take a measurement or even better. Trace the pickup including poles with a piece of paper and pencil and spin it around. That’ll give you an exact comparison and let you see if simply rotating the pickup 180 degrees will resolve your alignment the easiest way. 🙂

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 11:57 am    

You may want to turn turn the pickup around if you have enough extra cable, Or move the pickup toward the bass strings, To get better 1st 2nd and 3rd string alignment withthe magnets.
I owned a MSA Tidewood color Black trim D10 Just like your guitar for several years. Here is a picture of the original pickups I have seen on this era MSA Classics.

The D10 I owned, Had replacement pickups on it. The 2 pickups in the picture came off the guitar and was in a box with the guitar.
Here is a picture of the MSA S10 with the original pickup.

Good Luck in getting this problem fixed, Happy Steelin.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 12:30 pm    

Steeltronics has a series of Blade pickups.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=396964

Telonics makes Blade pickups as well.
https://www.telonics.com/products/proaudio/pickups.php

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2023 11:08 pm    

Sentell can build you a cutomized pickup at a reasonable price. I got my Gibson style 8-string pickup with non-original string spacing from them. Good stuff!

https://www.sentellpickups.net/steel

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 3:41 am    

Pole piece/string alignment was a concern of mine with my Williams narrow string spacing. As extremely off center as it sits in your photo, I'm not surprised at some issues. But I was able to center the pickup so that the misalignment was spread across all (12) strings and the amount of drift at the ends, while still visible, is small enough to be no problem.
If you really can't find a way to scootch it over a hair, I agree with blade pickup as a solution.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 7:29 am    

If you're just starting out on pedal steel, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the strings are centered on the fingers, and go on playing.

Why do I say that?

Because this is (in the opinion of many) one of the best pedal steels in the world:

Quote:
“The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.”

William James

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 9:17 am    

I have the same problem on one of my guitars. I think I read somewhere that the holes in the plate the pickup is mounted too could posibily not be exactly uniform from side to side in the plate and that possibly the plate got flipped over during a prior pickup change. Stranger things have happened.

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 9:18 am    

And once again…Donny Hinson demonstrates why his words of wisdom are usually profound. Great advice with an unequivocal example! 🙂

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 10:23 am    

All due respect-
The camera angle in Donny’s pic does not accurately show how the pole pieces in the pickup align with the strings. It does show that the pole pieces are much larger than the ones in the MSA’s pickup, and are probably able to create a magnetic field strong enough to send out a balanced signal while straddling between pairs of strings. Apples and oranges, as far as design.

I also believe that a beginner needs all the help they can get from their equipment. If the response from your guitar is bugging the crap out of you and you think it’s because the pickup is misaligned with the strings, change it. It’s a pretty easy fix, if that is the problem.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 1:09 pm    

Fred Treece wrote:
All due respect-
The camera angle in Donny’s pic does not accurately show how the pole pieces in the pickup align with the strings. It does show that the pole pieces are much larger than the ones in the MSA’s pickup, and are probably able to create a magnetic field strong enough to send out a balanced signal while straddling between pairs of strings. Apples and oranges, as far as design.

Then again, there is the fact that string #1 and #10 on the Anapeg have a magnet on only one side, while all the rest have a magnet on both sides.

Jim Arnold

Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 4:45 pm    

Right behind the pup and slightly below it, are two screws. What do they secure? Is it possible they hold the pup and might allow you to loosen them so the pup could be aligned?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 5:52 pm    

Sam, the pickup is mounted in the tray with 1/4" thick foam, and you will note that it will move slightly when you press on it in any direction. The cavity in the neck is quite small, but the pickup could be removed and remounted slightly more towards the back of the guitar, and this might require you to file or grind the plastic on the bottom cover of the pickup (on the bass side). Not a hard job, but it would require some care and time and removing the strings. I believe the pickup can be raised or lowered (or removed) via the 2 very small slotted brass screws on the bottom of the guitar, about one inch from the fingers. Note, however, that this "adjustment" or filing (should you decide to do that) will still not allow you to have all the strings centered over the poles. It's a design problem that I don't consider a problem, but others might. You might improve the look of things, slightly, but I can't guarantee that will do anything, sound-wise. For reference, below is a (somewhat crappy) picture of the E9th pickup in my 50 year-old MSA. Note that this guitar exhibits exactly the same issue as yours. However, I played that guitar for 30 years in that condition; doing almost 10,000 gigs and probably did 50 recordings with it. If it had a problem, I either didn't notice it or I adjusted to it.

But before you do any major work, I'd suggest to polish the changer tops a little, put on new strings, and make sure thay are centered on the changer fingers. And if you're using a .011 string for the 3rd, you might try a .0115, which will have a little fuller sound. You could also try lowering the bass side of the pickup al little, to equalize the output balance.

Hope some of this info helps, good luck! Very Happy

Sam Inglis

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 2:02 am    

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm away for a few days over Christmas but I'll restring the guitar when I get back and see if I can improve matters.

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2023 6:38 am    

If nothing works you could:

1. Change the pickup to one that uses blades/rails vs poles so that aliment is automatically fixed.

2. Have a custom pole pickup wound with spacing to match your string spacing. Jerry Sentell comes to mind.

Good luck!

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8