The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Value of a 1970 8 string Miller Custom?
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 9:13 pm    

Looking for opinions on the asking price of my first steel. It appears to be a 1970 Miller Custom which began life as a 3 pedal, 1 knee lever as best I can tell. It now only has 2 pedals (the rods are numbered "2" and "3", helping deduce the removal of a pedal). There are wear marks and holes in the undercarriage which indicate that another pedal and lever existed. The cabinet is maple and looks to have a faux inlay decal as opposed to the intricate inlays Roger Miller was known for (The "Miller" decal is absent, but a faint outline remains). The keyhead is cast for 10 tuners, but the bridge assembly and roller nut are for 8 strings. I presume they are original unless someone went to the trouble to replace then at some point. I had it set to E9 without the chromatics, Day set up, by Don Curtis at Scottie's Music in '05 or so.

So- given that the foundation exists for a project guitar, I was hoping that the forum could offer some spitball numbers as to what an appropriate asking price may be. I haven't the time, expertise or inclination to make this a versatile instrument and am weighing out selling it vs. revisiting it later to try a different tuning.

Thanks,
Pete

Ian Weigert

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2023 8:10 pm    

I have the exact same guitar. I think I got it for about a grand. It too only has rods 2 and 3 I think that’s how they made them.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2023 5:56 pm    

With current trends leaning towards a 3+4 or 4+5 pedal guitar as "minimal", a guitar with only 2 pedals will likely be a really hard sell. Though it's made a lot better than most new 8-stringers available today, matching parts are pretty much non-existent, and most steelers are very finicky about matchy-matchy.

I'm thinking you'd be lucky to get around $500 for it.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2023 6:15 am    

I sold this guitar nearly ten years ago for under $300 & if I could have sorted out how to get it to return to tune, wouldn’t have let it go.

Dear Modman, would you be so kind as to close this reanimated zombie thread?

Be good,
-Pete

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"