The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old permanent / fingertip convert found on Reverb
David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 9:15 am    

I saw this ad on Reverb for a '60's Sho Bud'

https://reverb.com/item/74283679-sho-bud-pedal-steel-60-s

It looks like an old D-10 but can't figure out what the original model is, Fingertip or Permanent. It appears that it's been heavily modded with a welded on new changer and convert to sd10. Some dodgy electronics and questionable changer / parts. Any sho bud experts out there who can identify this thing.

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 9:17 am    

Used to be a permanent but it ain’t no more. Once was a double neck. Changed from pull-release to all pull. Knee levers aren’t sho bud they look homemade or off a different brand. Looks like most of the undercarriage parts are from newer buds or other brands. The 2/2 changer might be from a pro 2. The part the changer is mounted on looks like it came off a maverick. Vinyl fretboard? Pickups look original. Key head is original. Definitely a sho bud Frankenstein guitar. It looks like an ok job done by someone who kind of knows what they’re doing. I think they’re asking too much but if it plays good and has a good tone, stays in tune etc it might be worth 2000 or 1800? It’s an old body with modern parts.

Last edited by Andy Gibson on 5 Dec 2023 9:59 am; edited 5 times in total

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 9:47 am    

Looks like the body might be early. There are no slots cut in the changer plate where the strings that don’t raise or lower are strung thru. Harry Jackson told me they didn’t start doing that until the early 60s after little Jimmy dickens gave them the idea. Ain’t that weird? My perm doesn’t have the slots and it’s dated 59/60 And the rosewood/maple bodies they made back then usually have great tone in them. But I wouldn’t buy it without playing it.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2023 10:34 pm    

The Bell Cranks and Cross Rods look 1970's MSA.
When I built a steel in 1970 I used a Sho-Bud Permanent Pull and Release for measurements on parts. Had welded bell cranks on the cross rods.

That guitar has a lot of modifications. Window cut for access to tuner, All pull changer, Adjustable Lower Return Springs.
The pedal board and pedals look like they have survived in original shape.

David Gram

Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 2:26 am    

Thanks for the input on this frankenperm restoring this to original would be a daunting task i believe

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 10:35 am    

Restoring to original would be nearly impossible. With some work it could/may be a playable guitar.

Somewhere in its life someone tried to make it a modern guitar, Not respecting its importance in the development of todays modern steel guitars.

Jason Duguay

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2023 12:12 pm    

Speaking of slaughtered Buds on the ‘verb, This one looks interesting. Not too hacked up…Looks like the tuners were replaced? original undercarriage I think…and the tuning section looks clean, not rusted out…My question is , are those foot pedals original? I’ve owned two fingertips, both had waffle pedals. However I remember seeing thin pedals on a couple ‘tips in the past. Could be faulty memory…..

https://reverb.com/item/76562085-project-1960-s-sho-bud-sd-10-010