The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chiming Double Stops and Chords
Darryl Coyne

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 1:40 pm    

Hello again, first, I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to help me with the first few years of new guy questions. I have a new one about chiming. My question is about the picking motion when chiming more than one string (using pinky knuckle). Should multiple chimed notes be strummed by the thumb or is it better to keep the right hand shape and "push through" the strings?
I know that using words like "should" and "better" is very subjective. I'm really just looking for some opinions. As always, Thank you!

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2023 2:17 pm     Chime

Using my picks I use the side of my hand/palm. Quik and easy. Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2023 7:23 am    

In my youth, that was called "palm harmonics".
Erv

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 11:07 am    

For two strings I find I don't have to move the knuckle in sync with the pick; I can get the 'v' of my bent knuckle to abridge the two strings. If I wanna go for three adjacent strings, I end up doing a bit of a rake with the pick and I use the flat part of the knuckle instead of the 'v'.

I do a fair amount of solo and duo work and find that an entire verse done in harmonics can really bring out some dynamics in a song. I generally stick to the primary harmonics when I do this; in fact I rarely use secondary harmonics because they are still a bit out of my comfort zone, and not yet necessary.

As for the claims of inaccuracies using this method, it has become just another muscle memory exercise at this point.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 12:44 pm    

For adjacent strings, why not just push through with the thumb pick strum? If the strings you want to chime are separated by one or more strings, then use a normal “grip” method.

The sound you want to hear is the ultimate teacher for technique. The thumb pick stroke will have the most power behind it and lead to more volume and sustain. Chiming with finger picks is a skill that needs focused practice to match what is relatively easy for the thumb.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2023 5:00 pm    

For 2 strings with a folded pink, I use thumb and index finger together. Feels strange in the beginning, but after some practice it is doable.