The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kluson tuner pans questions... Cutout dimensions etc.??
Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 8:34 am    

I am thinking about another guitar and I want it to look more professional, less cheesy. I want to use the old Fender 400 for inspiration, I love the retro look. I even love the ridiculous sunburst, but I will probably go with the cream color or maybe telecaster yellow. These pans seem like the ticket! Do they only work with Kluson plate tuners? Also I can't seem to find cutout dimensions, so if anyone knows these that would be helpful.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2023 9:21 am    

There is an image of an 8 string template here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2887943#2887943. The tuners are 1" O.C., there are other options using individual slotted peghead style tuners (Fender did that in later years), but the Kluson plate-mounted tuners are a much better choice and readily available.

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2023 5:07 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
There is an image of an 8 string template here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2887943#2887943. The tuners are 1" O.C., there are other options using individual slotted peghead style tuners (Fender did that in later years), but the Kluson plate-mounted tuners are a much better choice and readily available.

Thanks Ian, I did find that post, but it is missing some measurements. I was able to figure out an approximate cutout. I will just wait till I get one in hand before I do any routing. You are right about the tuners. That is probably not the place to cheap out.