The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shoji Tabuchi
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2023 7:19 pm    

Shoji Tabuchi's family just announced that he has passed away.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 11:08 am    

This is very sad news! I worked with Shoji Tabuchi two years on The Grapevine Opry of Texas and at The Starlight Theater in Branson Missouri during 1982 and 1983 when he was in his Prime. I also played on three albums with him. He was a Master Showman, Super Violinist, and Great Guy. He was a perfectionist and had an impeccable musical ear. I feel honored to have been a friend of his all these years. Most people won't know it but he was a U.S. Army Veteran and also a born again Christian. RIP my Friend Shoji!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 1:17 pm    

I remember Mel Tillis saying he use to go fishing with him but he quit doing it because Sohji kept eating all the bait.
Never heard anything about him except how great he was. RIP or I should say, "see you later" Ron

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 3:50 am    

I am very sorry to hear of Shoji's passing. I picked with him while he still was working with David Houston and went bass fishing with him in Louisiana a few times. He loved to fish! A great violinist and great guy to boot. I also got to play Danny Boy with him on the Opry and it is a great memory I will always cherish. RIP Shoji.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 4:01 pm    

That is a great memory to have Roy. Hope you are well. J.R.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2023 6:20 am    

Roy Peterman wrote:
... I am very sorry to hear of Shoji's passing. I picked with him while he still was working with David Houston and went bass fishing with him in Louisiana a few times. He loved to fish!

True! My band backed him up in Austin several times when he toured as a single act in the 80's and we always talked bass fishing. He invited me to fish with him at "Toredo Ben," which is how he pronounced "Toledo Bend" in his thick Japanese accent. Laughing I regret never getting up there to fish with him. He was a super friendly man and one of the best and most skilled musicians I've ever had the opportunity to pick with. RIP Shoji.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?