The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dumble/Dumbler pedals?
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2023 8:07 pm    

Anyone using a Dumble, Dumbler or any of the other pedals that are supposedly related to the ZenDrive?

My Bad Horse died and on at the end of an internet rabbit trail, I ordered an Iset "Dumble". It appears to be the same pedal as the Rowin "Dumbler" but it had a cooler looking case graphic and was on sale.

I think I like it better than the Klon clone Bad Horse. I wanted a mild smooth, clear overdrive that isn't fuzzed out by chords on my steel and it seems to deliver!

Curious to hear if anyone else is using these or similar pedals and what settings they prefer.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 10:20 am    

I'm using a Golden Acorn Overdrive Special
https://one-control.com/products/golden-acorn-overdrive-special
Read the description...this guy has it right...if you don't overdo the drive knob you get a nice violin sustain...

My ZenDrive was a touch cleaner but I decided to replace pretty much everything with mini-pedals, except wah (ChiWahWah) and Envelope Filter (Analogman), where the minis just didn't cut it.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 11:53 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
I'm using a Golden Acorn Overdrive Special
https://one-control.com/products/golden-acorn-overdrive-special
Read the description...this guy has it right...if you don't overdo the drive knob you get a nice violin sustain...

My ZenDrive was a touch cleaner but I decided to replace pretty much everything with mini-pedals, except wah (ChiWahWah) and Envelope Filter (Analogman), where the minis just didn't cut it.

That looks nice. That was one I saw mentioned positively in my search, but my budget was closer to the $22 I spent on the Iset.

I'm also really appreciating smaller pedals as I tweak this board.

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 2:07 pm    

I like this J Rockett pedal:
https://rockettpedals.com/dude/
Of course I've never played through a Dumble... Very Happy

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2023 7:20 pm    

Don't know about ZenDrive, but as far as Dumble emulators go, Mad Professor Simble works great with steel:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=269493

I don't think they make them anymore but I've seen them for sale used at good prices. I am among the many who haven't played through Dumbles, but it's a good OD for steel.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 3:35 am    

I use one of these and I like it. It's the smoothest OD I've found for steel.
https://aionfx.com/project/azimuth-dynamic-overdrive/

Never touched a Dumble but the Azimuth gets me in the ball park of that David Lindley "Running on Empty" tone so it does it for me.

If you want authentic Dumble it's all about that crystal lattice, haha
https://youtu.be/iVTj08qTwGw
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Last edited by John Larson on 18 Jul 2023 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 6:26 pm     I use a Jetter gs124

Every time I step on this pedal (Jetter GS-124) I see people put their phones down to listen to what's sounding so good!

https://store.jettergear.com/product/gs-124/

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2023 10:41 pm    

I have played through a couple of Dumbles (not mine, this was back when, although not common, Dumbles were not considered literally worth their weight in gold and therefore untouchable at guitar shows). IMO, the first thing that should be said is that different Dumbles are different. That said, I think both the Zendrive and the Mad Professor Simble sound good. That youtube by Olli convinced me to try a Simble when they came out, and I liked it immediately. I have a couple, each on different boards. I also have a Zendrive, it's also very good but it definitely sounds different. It's on yet a different board. Mad Professor also made the Twimble, which is a Simble with a preamp in front of it. A friend got one on my recommendation of the Simble, and he really likes it.

There are lots of pedals that will get you in the general ballpark. IMO, anything beyond that is about knowing how to set up and use one. Another pedal series that I still really like is the Duncan Twin Tube - there's the Twin Tube Classic, which has a bit more of a Marshall flavor, and the Twin Tube Blue, which has a bit more of a vintage Fender flavor. So they are a bit different, but I like both. The biggest disadvantage to these is that they have a large footprint and require a special power supply, not the standard 9VDC negative-tip standard power supply that most pedals use these days. But they are based on sub-miniature vacuum tubes, and not run in starved-plate mode. A step-up transformer brings the line voltage up to realistic tube preamp levels.

A lot has been written about all these pedals on this forum and elsewhere.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2023 4:58 am    

re: the original post's mention of Dumbler (Dumb and Dumbler?) I've had this on & off my board in the never-ending musical chairs shuffle. I saw a Youtube side-by-side demo with a Zendrive (which I also have). I was sold that you could dial it in to get close enough to emulating the Zen for my ears. I have zero Dumble experience so that's not in the equation.
It comes off the board when my ears are leaning more toward ruder, more rocking distortion. I'd describe it as smooth, refined, compressed, singing.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 1:04 am    

I have a Tone City Bad Horse and I like it a lot. It's the only overdrive/distortion pedal that I'll play 3ds with. They are built like a tank, so it surprises me that it died on you. Steel Forum member Jim Sliff mentioned the Bad Horse and another OD pedal called a Hotone Grass pedal in a post about David Lindley's tone years ago. I bought a Bad Horse and liked it so much that I bought the Grass pedal about a month or two later. He described the Grass pedal as a Dumble style pedal. It has a heavier OD sound than the Bad Horse and I use it to try to emulate the David Lindley tone, and Duane Allman's slide guitar tone. I like the Grass pedal a lot too. I have to say that if something happened to my Bad Horse, I would buy a knew one. I have always wanted to try the Simble and the Zen Drive, and I have also heard great things about the "Timmy" OD pedal too.

Ivan Funk

Hamburg Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2023 4:38 pm    

Fun thread.
Thanks for reminding me! I forgot I had this pedal.
I have the same pedal as Jon.
El-Cheapo Amazon instant gratification impulse buy.

I never played through a real Dumble but I like this pedal.
I did sound for Kimmock a few times and became obsessed with his sound and we discussed various gear although his magic is mostly in his hands, mind, etc...

I never thought to try this for pedal steel. This thread inspired me to try it out. Very cool.
Surprisingly it is actually true bypass so when it's off, the pickup is going direct to the first preamp tube in the amp which I like. No buffering when off etc...

The touch response is surprisingly good. Can go from clean to overdrive all in how hard or soft you pick.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2023 9:38 am    

About a year ago I put together a cheap/inexpensive pedal board for a friend.
In the process I got sucked into the rabbit hole of cheap clones.
I ended up filling the slots for GEQ, tremolo, flanger, chorus and delay pedals with these types.

There are TON of import/Amazon/etc inexpensive clones out there.
iSet, Mooer, Moen, Donner, Caline, Kokko, Koogo, some Behringer.....and on and on.

Regarding OD/Distortion pedals: For the most part, with some exceptions, there are basically only 3-4 circuit types/designs. You'd be shocked once you start looking at schematics. Like it or not, they're basically all the same.

When I fell into that rabbit hole, to sort things out, I made up an EXCEL spreadsheet of all of the pedals and their clones. Since it has been a year, there are probably even more names added since then.

Youtube will have tons of videos on these.
One guy that does a lot of reviews is a guy out of Australia, "In The Blues". Nice guy, good reviews, but he tends to IMO WAAAYYYY overplay; His videos could be a LOT shorter.

Also, start cruising Craigslist for these. You can often times pick them up a little cheaper.

One downside that I found: Most of them are mini pedals. There's NO room for a battery, so you need an external supply.
Also, I found that one of the compressors tended to have noise/oscillation issues, probably due to either circuit layout or reduced filtering.
I did not have any issues with any of the GEQ, tremolo, flanger, chorus and delay pedals.

The other thing that I'll add: I also found import/cheapo solderless pedalboard cable kits. I sort of discovered them by accident. I ended up ordering two different types and had no problems with them. They were way less expensive than I'd have thought.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2023 8:18 am     Dumbly Sound

What about the Wampler Euphoria or Sarno Solar Flare? Anyone using these? How do you like them?

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2023 9:34 am    

ajm wrote:

Regarding OD/Distortion pedals: For the most part, with some exceptions, there are basically only 3-4 circuit types/designs. You'd be shocked once you start looking at schematics. Like it or not, they're basically all the same.

You're not wrong
Most of the OD/Dists are based on
Ibanez/Maxon Tube Screamer
Klon Centaur
DOD 250/MXR Distortion + (This one is a really good example there are so many pedals that are based on this topology)
ProCo Rat
EHX Big Muff

So much stuff is based on these or slight variations thereof.

Josh Scott and Brian Wampler have done a lot to dispel much of the mythos over the years on their YouTube channels
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2023 4:27 am    

Jon and Ivan,
From what I've read, the Iset Dumble and Rowin Dumbler are probably the same pedal in a different case. Glad to hear you both like yours also.

AJM and John L.
I agree with you guys about the basic structure of so many pedals being very similar, and often nearly identical. My problem was finding pedals that play well with my Steel while staying on the cleaner side of things. Whole classes of pedals including Fuzz face, Big Muff, Tube screamer, Boss OD, were too dirty for me. Only the Klon and ZenDrive style ODs have gotten close to what I'm looking for.

And yeah, Josh Scott is great!

Bob,
I was surprised about the death of the Bad Horse too. M not convinced that the Tone City Pedals aren't the same as the Amazon cheapies, but it did come well recommended. I had hardly used it and never dropped it, but it just died. I'll probably pick up another one or another cheap Klon Clone at some point if just to A/B it with the Dumble.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2023 9:14 am    

Karl Paulsen wrote:

My problem was finding pedals that play well with my Steel while staying on the cleaner side of things. Whole classes of pedals including Fuzz face, Big Muff, Tube screamer, Boss OD, were too dirty for me. Only the Klon and ZenDrive style ODs have gotten close to what I'm looking for.

Might be worth trying 18v for the ODs that can run on it especially Tube Screamer style pedals for more headroom. The klon internally runs on 18 volt so it's got more headroom than the Screamer style pedals

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2023 9:47 am     Re: Dumbly Sound

Don Mogle wrote:
What about the Wampler Euphoria or Sarno Solar Flare? Anyone using these? How do you like them?

Hey Don, I’ve been using a Wampler Ecstasy, which is identical to the Euphoria, for well over a decade, and absolutely love it. It has three circuits so it’s very versatile. It has a wide range of tones and the “open” mode is very transparent. Works very well with steel too. I’ve played many many Wampler pedals over the years and this one is my favorite.

Karl, I think you would be very happy with a Wampler Euphoria or Ecstasy in the “open” mode. Just sounds like a clean amp on steroids.

The Mojo Hand DMBL looks great as well, but I haven’t played one yet.