The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 1000 copedents
Jerry H. Moore

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 7:45 pm    

I'm a second year pedal steel player and have been on a Carter Starter. I bought an old Fender 1000 and love it but I would like to know some alternate copedants. I don't want to add a knee lever if I don't have to. Right now I have ABC just like the Carter and 7 and 8 pedals doing the jobs of the LKL and LKR. The back neck is just straight C6 for now. My goal is to keep trading up for a Sho-Bud or Equivalent. Thanks for any help.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2006 11:02 pm    

Jerry, check the copedent b0b has listed for Sneaky Pete. It's a B6, and pretty much a universal with the way the pedals are laid out. You could pare it down to his pedals 1, 2, 3, 4 & 7 and it'd take you a long time to run out of ideas and fun. There are other possibilites with that tuning - how many pedals do you have available for the second neck?

You might want to keep the Carter as your only E9 and use the 1000 for a version of the B6 that includes the 5& 6 pedals as well (more like standard C6 pedals) - that would give you an 8-string "Sneaky" setup on one neck, and the other could be in an 8-string sacred steel variant. That's exactly what I did with my 1000 and it's a kick to play. I just have a couple pedals on the SS E tuning and it's great for slide, while the B6 "Sneaky" copedent is usable for country-rock, rock, country, some blues...very versatile - about the only thing you don't have is "speed picking" since there are no chromatics.

The one nice thing about a Fender is it's easy to change copedents (although to do Sneaky's completely requires adding a couple of barrel tuners and two half-stop brackets...easily done and several of us can explain how).

Jerry H. Moore

Newnan, GA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 4:15 am    

Thanks, I saw the Sneaky Pete setup after I posted this. I think I'll try that one. I have 5 pedals assigned to the front neck now. That leaves 3 that I could use for the back. What are the most common pedals for the back? Maybe that would be an idea. Do you suggest B6 for my back? It is easy to change the setup on this guitar. Makes you wonder why they're not all like this. I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot about modifications others have for the 1000. Basil Henriques has some clips on YouTube that are great. Any idea what his setup is like? I know he has the added knee lever. Thanks

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 8:10 am    

Jerry, at one time I picked up a Fender 400 in a deal which was set up like this:

P1 P2 P3 P4
F#
D#
G# A
E F D#
B C#
G# A
F#
E F D#

It actually was pretty usable. I took it to a gig a couple of times to try it out and found that I could play most of the tunes we did. The only problem was that most of the notes were high but what the heck, it worked for Ralph. I loved the sound but it didn't have the "Mooney" E string change to F#. What was nice was the 1st and 2nd pedal together would give you the same as using your A pedal and F knee lever together and pedals 3 and 4 was the same as using your E knee lever and your B pedal. I wound up finally trading it for a Gibson Les Paul so that was a good deal. Other than the lack of lower strings the only other thing I didn't like about the Fender was the wider string spacing....JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2006 3:29 pm    

Jerry Moore - If you wanted to try the B6 tuning and only had 3 pedals to work with, I'd use Sneaky's 1, 2 and 8 pedals. You can do a lot with just those - I'd still not be too concerned about adding knee levers, though. And if you only have 8 pedals, you can easily add two more - email me if that's something you might want to do.