The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Parker Music Company of Houston, Texas
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2023 12:42 pm    

Is anyone familiar with Parker Music in Houston. It would appear that they may have operated a steel guitar school in the early postwar period. Did any of you old-timers learn to play there?

(Seen on the butt end of the top of a 1946/47 Gibson BR-6, directly below the bridge.)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2023 5:33 pm    

I did find this:

https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/chas.parkermusicco.inc.-houston-tx-8021169.html

"Chas. Parker Music Co., Inc. was founded in 1911, and is located at 122 Willowend Dr in Houston. Additional information is available at or by contacting Rudy Kroger at (281) 820-0011."

~Lee

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 10:43 am    

Thank you, Lee.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2023 5:23 pm     Re: Parker Music Company of Houston, Texas

Jack Hanson wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Parker Music in Houston. It would appear that they may have operated a steel guitar school in the early postwar period.

Jack, what makes you say that?

`

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2023 9:41 am     Re: Parker Music Company of Houston, Texas

Donny Hinson wrote:

Jack, what makes you say that?

Mere supposition, Donny. These days, jumping to conclusions seems to be one of my main forms of excercise.

The Gibson company had develped educational programs for both Hawaiian and Spanish guitar in the late 1930s that were well-received by their dealers. They would offer lessons, a series of printed tutorials, and an entry-level instrument -- ala the first black-painted BR-6s -- as a marketing device. The idea was that once a student gained a level of proficiency on their student model instrument, they would be more inclined to trade up to a more professional model, like a Century or an Ultratone. The program increased both dealers' sales, and the factory's production.

I once had an early 1950s BR-9 (which superceded the BR-6 as Gibson's entry-level lap steel) with a similar decal from a Kansas City music store on the back of its headstock. The woman I bought it from told me it was her late husband's guitar, who participated in the program. They met whilst she was taking accordion lessons at the store.