The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The one that got away
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2023 10:23 am    

Most of us who have been playing for a while have purchased/sold/traded instruments over the years.
Which one single instrument would you wish to have back, and why?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 May 2023 10:38 am    

This 'un right here. '95 PreRp 8+8. Best playing, best sounding, easiest to work on pedal steel ever I had. I never played better than when I had this guitar. It was a joy to play. Sold due to economics. Big mistake.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2023 12:05 pm    

A Fender Dual 8 Console blonde. 1985, I moved from Idaho to Seattle for a year, trying to scratch out an income, because I ran out of options in Idaho. I pawned (for a small loan) the Fender at a pawnshop downtown Seattle—a good store with many guitars. The Fender was in mint condition (I think it was a 60’s).

I finally made some money working at the Swallows Nest (a sea kayaking and mountaineering shop) in Seattle. I went back to the pawnshop to get the guitar out of hock, and they had been shuttered, bankrupt, no way to find my instrument.

Probably many pawned guitar stories out there like mine…..it was a beauty though. I probably spent the money on something stupid like food and rent😎

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2023 8:09 am    

There was one that had a special place for me. It was an early sixties sunburst clay dot Jazzmaster in the tan case. I first owned it about my freshman year of high school.

It was well worn so I took it all apart and refinished it natural like I had seen my Dad and Grandfather do to gun stocks. I should have been shot. But at the time, around 1972 or 1973, it was about the least valuable Fender that there was.

I ended up owning that guitar five times over the next six years, refinished it twice and made money on it every time I owned it. It ended up being black. Spray can job of course, but a nice spray can job! If I had just kept it and not butchered it I could probably sell it and buy a pretty nice new steel guitar.

There was a nylon string Ovation that I particularly liked too. It played very nice and had a unique sound.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 13 May 2023 8:50 am    

I bought the very first double neck superslide that MSA made. a D12. This was about 20 years ago. But after a few years I got into playing trumpet and sold all my steels. Specifically, I sold my MSA D12 Superslide to forum member HowardR.

Then a few years ago, I bought it back from HowardR. SOB hadn't even changed the strings!

So, it pays to have a pawn broker who is a steel hoarder as one of your best friends. Smile