The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams 600 Series Changer
Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 12:08 pm    

Someone posted that Williams had a new changer a few months ago. Does anyone have any additional information. Williams Web Site still only shows the 400 changer. Thanks
Clyde Lane

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 12:15 pm    

The 600 changer is like the 400 changer except there is a "hole" in the end where the string ball goes. Instead of you holding the string on you thread it through the end. It is great! Bill is always coming up with something new.

Geo

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 12:30 pm    

Also they are heat treated steel to eliminate the string-grooving-the-finger issue, and I think they are plated also, either nickel or chrome, if I am recalling properly, I saw them at this years ISGC.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 12:47 pm    

I wonder if Bill would do a "changer transplant"?

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2006 1:08 pm    

Bobby, I wonder if just the part that holds the strings on the 600 could be changed with the 400? You could e~mail Bill and ask him. If that is possible and isn't too costly, I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Geo

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2006 8:21 pm    

Sounds like a good idea. If I remember when playing lap steels, it seemed the strings threaded through a hole and over the bridge, had a better sound and reverberation. Is that correct or was I just dreAming...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2006 3:28 am    

I stopped by Bill's shop recently on a trip & he showed me the new changer. It's case-hardened steel instead of aluminum like the 400 was. I think the main idea is to prevent string grooves, but he says the tone is improved too. I didn't get to try a steel with one in it. The hole for the string to go through looks like it would pretty much make changing strings a one-handed operation on a keyless model at least. You won't even have to put down your drink.

He also has new knee levers which are really nice & solid - shaped more like rails than flags. And he's using a new lacquer that is supposedly even more durable than before.

David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2006 6:48 am    

In the "for whatever this is worth" category, I have an old MARLEN D10, made in 1960 or 61.

Very rudimentary mechanics by todays standards, but the strings do go through a hole in the changer finger instead of hooking on a pin or into a slot.

This guitar is old, has been beaten and bashed, carried many miles, used, abused, you name it, but the sound is AWESOME!

I dont know if the stringing method is the reason for the tone or not.

Have a great weekend!

------------------
David Collins
www.alpinesoap.com

Marc Weller

Upland, Ca. 91784
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2006 7:06 am    

I spoke to Bill and he indicated he would be able to change out the changer on my 400 for the new one.

MW

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2006 8:27 pm    

Has anyone had a chance to play a Williams with the new 600 changer?...I would like to have some comments..really sounds like a great improvement.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 12:03 am    

Noel Anstead was using the "string through the hole" idea on his Anapeg guitars back in the early 90's.

------------------

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 8:47 am    

Noel Anstead was using the "string through the hole" idea on his Anapeg guitars back in the early 90's.<<

That is nice to know but from my understanding the Anapeg is like a $10,000 Steel with about a four year waiting period which makes it out of reach for most Steelers.

It is nice to see that Williams is putting that idea into his Guitars and case hardened steel changer to prevent string grooving is an added plus. I wonder if anybody else is using case hardeded steel changers instead of Aluminum? Williams' really seems to be on the innovative forefront...can't wait to hear from people who have tried out this new changer.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 9:17 am    

Quote:
I wonder if anybody else is using case hardeded steel changers instead of Aluminum?
Dekley's changer fingers weren't case hardened, but they were chrome plated steel. I've been playing mine off and on for 25+ years and there is still no visible wear on any of the fingers.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 1:24 pm    

Case hardened steel? Wouldn't one have to go to stainless steel to prevent rust..sorry if this is a dumb question...I'm not a metallurgist.

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2006 10:26 pm    

I don't think it would have to be stainless as the fingers are plated. They should not rust unless you plan on leaving your guitar out in the rain.

I think the reason most builders don't use stainless is because it is a very hard metal and hard to machine. JMO

[This message was edited by Jim Bob Sedgwick on 10 December 2006 at 10:28 PM.]

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2006 8:23 pm    

I think the reason most builders don't use stainless is because it is a very hard metal and hard to machine. JMO

Stainless is what you want, you'd never have grooving to worry about...can't be that hard to machine, they make pots and pans out of it.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2006 4:43 am    

Stainless is also expensive and heavy.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2006 8:56 am    

Any pic's of the new changer finger?
~pb

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2006 1:11 pm    

Stainless is also expensive and heavy<<

Pedals Steels retail for $4000, there is no reason why expensive materials cannot be incorporated in the product...IMHO

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2006 1:58 pm    

Why do we want/like grooved nut rollers but complain about a dent in the changer finger?

I intentionally add a string dent to the finger...just in front of the integrated string through a hole tension adjuster (keyless tuner).

[This message was edited by ed packard on 14 December 2006 at 03:34 PM.]

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2006 12:59 am    

Paul - That ain't lacquer!! It's polyester. And you guys are right. . .Bill Rudolph's guitars are a work in progress. He's always finding ways of improving them on a continuing basis.
PRR

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2006 1:32 pm    

I played my first WIlliams on Saturday. It belongs to a friend. What beautiful top end. I really liked the sound, even next to my push pull it sounded great. (Not that I am trading anytime soon.)