The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Russ Wever - C6th-Chickn-Pickin-Steel-Drivin-Man
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 9:39 am    

Here is a video clip of Russ Wever "Guru of Steel" from a show last night here in Kansas City. This is a Patsy Cline tribute with vocals (Havilah), steel, standup bass, and drums. Great set-up for bringing out the steel. "Blue Moon of Kentucky"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDKvNEpDtU

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 10:56 am    

Here's another hot dang of a clip with Russ a pickin and a swinging on "Walking After Midnight"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFA6j81GcpQ

Great back-up technique for a singer. Russ does the steel and fills in for the rhythm guitar

[This message was edited by Colm Chomicky on 30 September 2006 at 12:12 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 11:00 am    

Thanks for that, Colm. Russ--I love it. It seriously inspired me with some ideas and some little things coming into place--you know how that sometimes happens where simple things that you were so close to discovering but never quite got there suddenly become obvious? Not easy, mind you. But, like, voila! Cool.

Got any tips for the following problem:?
If I do some nice bass string vamping that really helps propel the song I find that I am stuck--if I depart from the vamp to throw in a nice fill or something, the bottom drops out---I've painted myself into a corner of having to just keep the bottom going or end up weakening the song. I haven't found a happy medium yet.

Nice playing!

------I'm tailgaiting on Colm's bumper---my post is in reference to Blue Moon---haven't viewed other clips yet.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 30 September 2006 at 12:01 PM.]

Pat Irvin

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 11:21 am    

Thanks for posting this Colm. It was a great show. We also had a good turn out from the KC Steel Community to support/enjoy Russ's playing. I'm not sure on the spellings of all the names but here were the Steelers in attendance- David Williams, Roger Hearst?, Darrel Logue, Colm Chomicky, Tom Anderson, Daniel Kirk, Nate Hofer, Wes ?, and I'm sure I forgot someone. What a great event, to get to hang out with such a good group of guys, talk music and listen to some great playing. The venue (Harry's Country Club) was great, good food, great classic country decor and an amazing view of the KC skyline. Just a wonderful night for Steel Guitar. Thanks Russ for bringing us all together.

[This message was edited by Pat Irvin on 30 September 2006 at 12:23 PM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Colm Chomicky

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 11:58 am    

Pat is correct, great turnout by the local steel community at Harry's Country Club. Just a few of the Gang of Steel pictured below:

Also the great music as evidenced by this photo:

And great food (see the hungry Russ and the empty plate) with view of the Kansas City skyline.

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2006 12:20 pm    

Took me a second to realize Russ was the shuffle rhythm part! Very cool....

Drew

------------------

Drew Howard - website - Fessenden, Derby and Fender guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.