The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cannot lower from G# to F#
Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 12:40 pm    

I wanna lower on my all pull Emmons the 3th string from G# to F# with an up lever (combined with B to Bb on the 5th String)I have removed the stop, turned the hex tuner to the limit and put the rod in right on the top Bell crank whole. Though the lever pushes
a uge way and the spring nearly breaks it doesn't reach the full whole tone. What I don't understand is why my second Emmons creates the same problem and why allows my 5th string to lower more than 2 wholetones. A string of nearly the same thickness
Thnx for help

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 12:52 pm    

Are you using a wound 6th string?
Some guitars can't move a wound 6th that far.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 1:34 pm    

Many guitars can't lower the high G# to F#. It's a very long throw. Most people raise the high F# to G# instead.

Have you tried using a .012 for your 3rd string? That might make the difference.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 2:10 pm    

I ask Don Christensen about lowering the 3rd G#-F# on a Session 12 E9/B6 guitar that I had and Don told me that it would make the string "very ropey" and loose feeling.
It could be done, but he advised me not to.
JE:-)>

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 2:24 pm    

I lower the .012 third string on my Carter. I'm not actually interested in the F# but rather the G in combination with the B pedal (A&B pedals down, straight line dom7 chord on strings 6-5-4-3.) It takes just about all the travel the lever's got to make it work. It would not surprise me that some guitars can't do it.

There have been no adverse affects--the string feels fine, string breakage is not increased.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 03 August 2006 at 03:25 PM.]

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 4:09 pm    

Am presently adding that change to my Whitney S12U protoype just for the fun of it. Already have the LKL dropping #6 G# to F# and will use the same x-shaft to pull down #3. If the string sounds "ropey", I'll change from .011" to .012". My present LKL has a very short throw. . .the 3rd pull IS a long one, so I'm making an accelerator with a 2-to-1 ratio to help balance that difference out using the crank and changer holes to tweak it in. It will also be able to selectively be "locked out" when I don't want to use it. Most scissors-type changers don't have the ability to move that far. . .the lowering lever on the changer "bottoms out" and then the string actually tries to raise slightly. Winnie had an article somewhere years ago on how to increase travel on early ShoBud's. . .maybe his ideas would apply to some other scissors changers.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 4:22 pm    

When most all-pull guitars won't lower enough, it's usually because the raise finger starts to move when the lower finger is nearing the end of it's travel, which sharpens the string, and this problem is caused by a lower-return spring that's too tight. Back the spring adjustment off a little, or use a lighter spring.

Fred Nolen

Mohawk, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 6:04 am    

I ran into a similar problem and finally found that my split tuner was in too far. I, however, tend to be hard headed at times, and have found it prudent to look to the simple first.

Ol' Fred

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 6:43 am    

Fred's comment about the split tuner struck a real nerve. I've spent hours several times attempting to find the reason that a guitar wouldn't lower appropriately (usually a long throw) only to ultimately find I had neglected to back off the split tuner. Kinda of a "Eureka!" and "What a dumb #@%^ I am!" simultaneously.

Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 10:47 am    

It seems to back off the split tuner is a good option. But I need
a little instruction how to do this.
Thnx for your comments and your help