The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anapeg
Ron !

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 6:41 am    

I was wondering why there are so many people talking about the Anapeg PSG.
What is so big about it?Could someone tell me?
I have never played one so i don't know.

Ron

Ron !

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 7:08 am    

Sorry b0b move this one to the other section please.

Ron

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 7:37 am    

Thanx to Ebb from New Joisey - picture speaks !

Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 9:50 am    

I attended a steel guitar show in Hattfjelldal, Norway this past weekend, featuring Tom Brumley and one of his two Anapegs.
He had nothing but good to say about the Anapeg steel guitars and their builder Noel Anstead. I took a close look at the guitar and i'm impressed with the high finish of every single detail.
I'm not a big fan of the keyless design, but i must admit this was a very fine looking instrument.

Uffe

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 9:55 am    

What kind of $$$ are we looking at here?

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 10:08 am    

I waited almost 4 years to get an Anapeg and have now had it about that long. It is without a doubt the finest crafted steel guitar that you will ever see. Noel Anstead does whatever it takes to ensure that it is perfect in every detail and it is. I'm not sure that he is still taking orders for a new one. I know that he is going to deliver one at the St. Louis show and then will go back to Australia to make one for himself.
PS- it does not break strings and it does not detune- at all.

[This message was edited by Jim Palenscar on 16 August 2004 at 11:12 AM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 10:39 am    

I've seen the pics of "The Anstead" and it is well build..I am jealous .I can not make the same shafts and bellcranks without the proper machines.These shafts are round the onces i made are square..

Any body got anymore pics?

Please e-mail.

Thanks

Ron

[This message was edited by Ronald Steenwijk on 16 August 2004 at 11:40 AM.]

Mark Metdker

North Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 10:40 am    

http://www.homeopathic.co.nz/anapeg/anapeg.html

Check this out. More info on these guitars.

------------------
BMI S-10
Peavey Session 500

"Do Right, and Fear No Man"
Ronald Reagan

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 2:03 pm    

Well, after some checking, there's been only one thread here about them in the past 30 days, and only 40 during the last 5 years! So (at least here on the Forum), it's not a real popular brand. And hence, not one that's been talked about a lot.

I hear they're a fine steel, but I've never played one. Few have been built, and they're very expensive (even moreso than the new MSA's). Also, the waiting-list is well over a year. Those factors make them pop up in conversation occasionally, since they're kind of an "unknown quantity" to most of us.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2004 7:11 pm    

yes i am taking delivery in st. louis after approx 4 years. there will be a silly amount of green paper traded for this masterpiece. but it won't be more than you(GearAquisitionSyndrome) maniacs have paid for your 3+ guitars in your collection. at least all of my gas aquisitions are fenders for < 600 $ each. i have more revealing pictures in my membership section with no auto rebill

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2004 1:15 am    

Mark posted the website address where I posted the whole thing.
They are quite expensive ($8,000) and the wait is now about 4 years.
They are breathtaking in manufacture, ideas, and tone.
Check out the URL and then feel free to write with any questions.

JW

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2004 6:10 am    

I saw Tom Brumley's in St. Louis last year, it was breathtaking in terms of detail and finish.

The sound was pretty spectacular...

The lateral movement of the changer is pretty revolutionary, although my mind isn't mechanically sharp enough to understand exactly how it works.

One other factor that probably has an effect on the popularity, aside from the cost and the wait time is that (as far as I know) you can not buy a D10 Anapeg, only single neck (12, 11, 10, universal or extended tuning). That could be a factor (that and the extreme rarity of the guitars).

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2004 12:47 pm    

As far as I'm concerned I own the only Anapeg in Europe! Waited three years to get it, but it was well worth it. During that time I got the chance to save some money every month, so when the day came, luckily I could pay for it!!

A few things worth mentioning:

I have not broken a string in the three years I've had it (doesn't mean I haven't changed them..... )
I have never had to tune the levers or the pedals. (Other than if I change some string gauges of course.)
When I tune the guitar during sound-check, it's perfectly in tune all night long!
The sound is to die for! (Doesn't mean I play very good....)
The awerall look is astonishing!
The mechanic work is superb!

The only negative is that it doesen't make you a better player.
I'm a happy Anapeg owner!

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 10:57 am    

This may be silly stuff but here's an example of Noel Anstead's attention to detail. His case construction. Note his use of different density foams to hold the instrument stock still and his use of coated 5 ply and the recessed wheels.

I've had the instrument about 10 weeks now and it's a dream.

Graham

[This message was edited by Graham Griffith on 20 August 2004 at 11:58 AM.]

Graham Griffith

Tempe, N.S.W., Australia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2004 11:08 am    

Oh, by the way, this is what it looks like in the case.

Graham

Ron !

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 2:11 pm    

Any new info on this superb instrument?I'd like to hear more about this well build steel guitar.How long are the waiting lists nowdays?And don't forget....how much is it gonna cost me to get one?

Ron

Michael Hardee

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 2:46 pm    

I almost ordered an Anapeg from Noel in 1992. I remember at the time the wait was less than a year, he wasn't that well known yet in the US, even though Tom Brumley and Al Perkins had both received and were playing Anapegs. Even with Tom Brumley's really enthusiastic recommendation, I just had a hard time getting past the $4500 cost (but that included the flight case and shipping from Australia) for a single neck. *sigh* Would have been a great investment, not to mention a real pleasure to own and play.

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 3:29 pm    

Jim Palenscar's Anapeg was one of the 32 PSGs that we analyzed last Dec. The data = photos of the Changer/pickup end, and keyless tuner end, plus the tone/sustain Frequency Spectrum Analyzer charts may be seen at:
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/edpackard/?

Its performance may be compared with EMMONS, MSA, Sho Bud, etc. as the same data is there for those and others.

ANAPEG's are way beyond the common as PSGs go.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 4:13 pm    

I had the pleasure of meeting Noel Anstead for the first time when I played at the Brisbane Steel guitar show last month and he is a lovely guy. I also got to see several of his guitars which were played by a few of the local lads, and they are absolutely oustanding in construction -- and they sounded pretty good too. I never actually had a chance to play one but I was impressed with the attention to detail, and the quality of the construction. Build time is getting out there a bit to about 5 years --- Ivan Posa (NZ) is due to pick up his new 12 string and has been waiting about that long. Still if your keen enough then you won't mind the wait I guess.

[This message was edited by Paddy Long on 01 August 2006 at 05:14 PM.]

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 4:26 pm    

yes i have one and you will have to fight with my sons after im gone to get it. i cant keep my hands off it.unbelievable!

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 4:42 pm    

Ed,
You surprise me. You played that beautiful Fender 1000 at the Slide and Steel workshop, and now it turns out that you have an Anapeg as well. I would have enjoyed chatting with you about the Anapeg. I am building a PSG and was inspired by the Anapeg's design. I am trying to incorporate some of the features in my experiment.

Karlis

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 5:17 pm    

yes karlis i am a tone freak in my own mind and the anapeg is something special. i didnt bring it on the plane because i was afraid of another 5 year wait.you should talk with noel. he is such an accomodating and talented individual. boy did we have the experience in WA with the CAMPBELL BROS!

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 12:33 am    

I like the HPA. I'm new to the Forum, and the craft (see Testing). Funnily enough, I was watching the Gram Parsons tribute with Al Perkins the other night (in it, not with me) and a friend - who knows nothing more about "the steel machine" (as he calls it) than what he has seen with mine - commented on the keyless design. I was quick to tell him that one of the most nicely made ones of that type were made in is home state of Queensland. Lo and behold, a few minutes later, up pops the Anapeg logo on a close up of Al playing. What a coincidence.

I love the look of the woods on the website. I bet they're hard old bits of bush, them ones, from out back there.

Nice to join you, having visited the forum occassionally over the last few months.

Jeremy

Carter Starter, Blues Deluxe