The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G7 on Universal E9 B6 Question
Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 7:31 am    

On the Universal tuning and playing E9, where is the best place to find the G7?

I like to use the 9th string for the F on E9 which is a D but the Universal has a B on the 9th. May be a dumb question, but I am stumped.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 8:13 am    

You should have a lever that either lowers the 8th string from E to D or the raise the 9th string from B to D.

------------------
Ron Petersen &
The Keep'n Tyme Band
Mullen Universal 12 - Session 400 - Vegas 400 - ETC.

[This message was edited by rpetersen on 14 June 2006 at 09:15 AM.]

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 8:22 am    

Billy, most Universal copedents get that D note using a knee lever.

One common method is to raise the 9th-string B note to a D (and that change is frequently done on the same lever that lowers the second string to D). The advantage to this is that, for a player used to having a D on the 9th string, the grips stay the same when moving over to a Universal. You just have to remember to hit that knee lever.

Other folks get that D note by lowering the 8th string from E to D.

There are pros and cons to each method, so I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 8:57 am    

Billy, do you know what notes make a G7 chord?

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 8:58 am    

What Ron and Tucker said - some players have a D lever on both strings 8 and 9, so they can get it either way. Also, remember you can always get the 7 chords available in the B6 mode. If you are playing in E9 mode, at the I fret, the Eb lever and B pedal combination give a V7 chord. But of course it is a different inversion, with the 7 below the top root rather than below the bottom root.

------------------
Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 14 June 2006 at 09:59 AM.]

Billy Henderson

Portland, AR, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 9:33 am    

Thanks to all for the help I did find the lever I just had to tune it, RKL. I am new to the U12 but like it a lot. I tried the manufacturer for a copedent but no response. Thanks to Bob for the Forum and you guys for the help.

Now let's see if I can pass the test. A G7 is made up of G B D F or 1 3 5 b7

If that is not correct I would like to know. Thanks again

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 9:41 am    

Billy, that chord is correct, but the one you seem to be after is a different inversion (bottom to top): b7 1 3 5 1

For a great Uni copedant, look up Larry Bell's web site. I've tried others, but his copedant works best for me.

------------------
Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 10:12 am    

6th fret, F lever.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 10:22 am    

Third fret
Get b7 by lowering tonic to b7 on 8th string (E to D) or raising 5th to b7 on 9th (B to D)

Sixth fret
E to D# lever + Pedal that raises 12 B to C#, 11 E to F and lowers 7 F# to F
F lever (as b0b suggests) works but there is no tonic
(THIS IS AN INTERESTING EQUIVALENCY TO NOTE IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE U12 as 'ONE BIG TUNING' -- IT USES THE F LEVER POSITION TO KEY INTO A COMMON C6 DOM7 CHORD POSITION)

Eighth fret
E to D# lever gives you G6. B pedal raises the 6th to b7 for G7.

Eleventh fret
E to D# lever + 'boo wah' pedal (the one that lowers 12 from B to G#, 11 from E to D#, and raises 9 B to C)

There are a few others that give partials or substitutions but those are the main locations for a full, four note G7 chord. Some of those positions also have other useful scale tones (9ths, #9ths etc) that can be used. You'll have to figure out the voicings yourself. It's a great exercise. If it sounds good, it's a good voicing.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 11:21 am    

quote:
A G7 is made up of G B D F or 1 3 5 b7

If that is not correct I would like to know.

Yes, that's right, and I would always suggest that you try to find those notes yourself, as well as asking other players where the chord is. Put the bar at each fret, and see if one of those notes can be played, using any pedal or knee lever. It's a good way to learn your tuning.
Remember that you can omit any one of the 4 notes, and it will still function as a G7. ...OK, I guess it wouldn't sound much like a 7th if you omit the F.
It's probably not possible to find G7 at every fret, but if you try, you will probably find some useful new things. For example on my E9, I can find a useful, nicely tempered G7 at every fret except the 8th fret. The difference would be how you want to bend into it or out of it.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 11:22 am    

ooops, make that every fret except the 7th fret.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 12:30 pm    

7th fret, lower strings 5 & 6 a half step.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2006 12:45 pm    

Quote:
7th fret, lower strings 5 & 6 a half step.
I left that out because the Wolf lives there on my meantone tuning. (Open G is about +12.5 cents, and open A# is about -10 cents.) That minor third is just too narrow.

On the other hand, I like the sound of G7 chord on open strings even tho it uses the E# at -12.5 and the G at +12.5. It has a really sweet sound, for example strings 11, 9, 5, 4.

Frank Welsh

Upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2006 2:55 pm    

Just an added note (no pun): For those who like those non-pedal tunings like a full E7 or C#minor 7 with ninth added, that Universal knee lever that raises the 9th string to a D will produce a very full, good old fashioned E7th tuning and with the A pedal also pressed, a full C# minor 7th, add 9.

With those tunings and the added benefit of the A6th tuning (A + B pedals pressed) and the plain B6th as well, I can get all the Hawaiian sounds I loved to play on non-pedal. An added benefit is the ninth sound as found in the non-pedal B-11th tuning if you hit the A and B pedals and press the knee lever that lowers the E's. You could play "Sand" with very full A6th and B11th sounds and not sound like a pedal steel at all if you conceal the pedal changes in your playing.

So play that G7th and then try adding the A pedal to hear the relationship (G7th and G13th).

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2006 8:37 pm    

Hey Billy, on my S-12U, I use the 9th string, B note and raise it to a D with a KL. See ya my friend!

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2006 12:17 am    

B-Bb lever down 2 frets from the open position
and using strings 7,5,4. Also down 2 frets from the open position using pedal B-C# gives a (5?)
minor chord that while not a true 7th can be used as a substitute.
Is '5 minor' correct?
Anyway in G, it would be D minor.