The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Polishing Problem: Cloudy streaks
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 12:40 pm    

I am try to restore the mirror shine on my end plates (aluminum). I start out with simichrome and end with mothers (hand applied)...but I'm ending up with a cloudy-streaked finish.

Also, is there a point where you stop getting the black-gunk removal on the polishing rag?

I'm wondering if this is a case whereby there are fine scratches that defuse the light and cause the cloud streaks. If so, is this a situation that can only be remedied by a buffing wheel and compound?

Thank you for any input!

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 12:50 pm    

Hi Tom, I have aluminum end plates on my Emmons. If it is bad, I recommend using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Cleaner, in the red plastic container, you can get this at Wal Mart fairly cheap. Try to find some Mothers BULLET POLISH, this runs about 10 or 12 dollars per jar, and this is what I use after using the Mothers Mag Cleaner. It is much finer and will after a few times, make your aluminum look like new. This is what I use on my LeGrande and it keeps the end plates looking like new. Hope this helps, it works for me.

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 12:51 pm    

You might reverse the process: start with Mother's, then end with Simichrome.

The black means that the polishes are working. You just keep buffing until you reach the level of gleam that you desire.

The buffing wheel is not a bad idea, particularly if the end plates are removed from the guitar.

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 12:51 pm    

Try Mothers aluminum BILLET polish.This is the best aluminum polish you will ever use,it is not a ordinary polish,it is would you say"super charged".This will also defer all minor scratches.You can pick this up at any Auto Zone automotive store.

[This message was edited by Marty Holmes on 06 June 2006 at 01:52 PM.]

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 3:59 pm    

I prefer "Neverdull" available at auto parts stores. The polish is contained in wadding and all that is needed is to tear off a portion and go to work. When you are finished polishing dispose of the entire piece, no messy rags. Complete by buffing with a soft cloth.

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 9:10 pm    

The black gunk is the microscopic particles of aluminum that are being oxidized in the polish "gunk"....It never ends until you wipe everything clean with a dry clean rag.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2006 4:32 am    

One thing I have found like most things is that it is much easier to maintain than to restore. I keep an old tee shirt in the Pac-Seat and when I set it up I give it a once over and also after playing.
This seems to keep it really shiny and then under the strings isn't so bad when I change strings because the rest is done in advance.
This a time saver for me.

------------------
Ken Metcalf/ San Antonio
Carson Wells D-10
Super Twin
Peterson