The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud pros- cons???
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 10:24 am    

Well, for what it is worth , I don't see any of the top pro's toting around these big old heavey guitars.
I have two Emmons p/p guitars and never play them out. They play fine and sound fine but are HEAVEY. I use my blue LeGrande lll or the MCI or I now have a Mullen to work with.
The last time I looked I think Mike Cass was playing a GFI. Now he is a well known p/p guru. I think our instrument is tough enough to learn to play with out creating more problems with a antiquated guitar.
After you learn to play and make your first million buy a ton of old beauties.
The most beautiful guitar I ever laid eyes on was a Baldwin Sho-Bud crossover . Anyone want to tackle that darlin ?

Old Bud

[This message was edited by Willis Vanderberg on 01 June 2006 at 11:26 AM.]

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 12:41 pm    

James M. "I like to use a rubber band or two if I find a little slack." I only do that if I can't find the men's room!
Most of my "workin'" life, I used a Kline. Now I have a beautiful old Shobud S-10. Ricky managed to get 6 knee levers on it, and it's a double-raise, single-lower guitar. If you know what you're doin', and Ricky and John Coop know what they're doin'. you can do an awful lot with this relatively simple, supposedly antiquated system!

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 4:33 pm    

If you like the old vint shobuds and don't mind spending a few bux to refurb it, you can have the best of both worlds---new mechanics under an old vintage bud. John Coop did a fabulous job on mine, and it will last anothet thirty years.

Some folks wouldn't give a hoot to refurb an old bud, but some of us are thrilled with one that's redone and resurrected. To each there own. Steel guitars come in many styles and shapes---because one style doesn't work for everybody. That's the tough part--finding what YOU personnally like.

I have bought several buds that just needed some cleaning, adjustment, and some TLC, and they played just fine with no problems. Take em and gig with them. That's what Alex might try to find. He could play it for awhile and sell it and move on. OR he could refurb it if he happens to like the guitar. Either way, there's plenty of help on the forum.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 5:19 pm    

Sho~Bud will outplay any of the "modern" guitars, good LDG,or Pro series are pro guitars and if you get a good Sho~Bud it will last you for the rest of your life.And one more thing,after 20 or 25 years your Sho~Bud will be worth more than it is now and all of those "modern" guitars will be long gone.I can`t believe some statements here like "it`s old" or "It`s heavy" or "the pros don`t play it"..what in the world is that all about...just go and try a Sho~Bud and you`ll be happy,it will sound like a steel guitar is supposed to sound,and when you get to be 80 years old and Pro II becomes too heavy for you than trade it for..let see...Pro I...ha

Damir Sho~Bud freak Besic

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~ www.promatsteelguitars.com

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 6:19 pm    

I bought a used Sho-Bud and played it happily for 15 years. It looked great and recorded great. A guitar does not have to be mechanically advanced as most any guitar can be played in tune with experience. The tone of the old Buds can be exhiliarating and for many, greatly overcomes any mechanical shortcomings. I've mostly owned workhorse guitars that were bought new by others and the undercarriages were always a mishmash of hardware and that never bothered me. If the tone is there, and you have the mechanicals rebuilt, you can have the best possible guitar: looks, tone and mechanics.

Greg

Greg's Web Page
MSA/Steel King Sounds

[This message was edited by Greg Cutshaw on 02 June 2006 at 05:17 AM.]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2006 8:26 pm    

Well, there you have it, Alex. Now you are catching the flavor of the Sho-Bud mystique. Every one of them has it in spades. And the resale value just seems to keep going up, expecially over on eBay.

Kenny Drake

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2006 7:20 am    

I wonder what the market value for the Sho~Buds would be if there weren't folks like Leon Roberts, John Coop, Bobbe, Duane, Ricky and the others whose restorations keep these guitars in top form and playing like new. With their expertise and skills it seems there are no "cons" to owning a Sho~Bud except finding one. There hasn't been a new one made in many years, but they are still one of the most sought after brand guitars out there. Thanks to all who keep these beautiful guitars from fading into history. I wouldn't trade one of my Sho~Buds for anything being made today. I own a modern steel from one of the top manufacturers, but it doesn't compare to my old Sho~Buds in any way. There will always be a market for these fine instruments.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2006 5:07 pm    

I just purchased a `60s Sho~Bud perminent from the forum member.Guitar is 40 years old restored on outside and Bobbe is as we speak working on the undercariage...Tone....well,ask Bobbe ...there is nothing like Sho~Bud...if you`re looking for a all pull guitar..well..I`m not,I got what I was looking for

`60s Sho~Bud perminent

it will be a great friend to my 1928 Gibson L-3

Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~ www.promatsteelguitars.com

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 02 June 2006 at 06:12 PM.]

Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:21 am    

PRO - I want one.

CON - I don't have one.

Ricky...

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd, Nashville 112,Hilton Volume pedal, Peterson VS-II Tuner
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Bo-Bro, Ibanez Auto-Wah, Regal Dobro

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2006 7:58 pm    

I had a pre-Pro 1 with the rack and barrel setup with 5 pedals and 5 knee levers.I owned it for 16 years, great sound and easy playing. Also very beautiful Birdseye.

I wanted a 12 string, so sold it to HowardR, was sorry and tried to buy it back. No soap.

I owned other guitars during that time but found the sound and easy setup changing of the Sho-Bud to top the list.

I got lucky and bought a Pro 1 from the original owner with 3 and 2 and had John Coop get me the parts to make it a 6 and 5. Tuned E6-E9.

My Good Michigan Friend ,Fred Welch, did a great job in putting it together, and it is really nice and sounds great, of couse, and has that Sh0-Bud beauty, rounded front, etc.
It has the 2 hold puller and with the barrel tuners has practically no tuning limitations.

I used to own 2 professional D10's and a Super Pro D10, and the prof. were really heavy. So the pro 1 is so much lighter and easy to carry. I can still play anything I want on it, but I kinda still miss the extra 2 strings.

But one problem, I have to tune it about once a week. LOL...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/