The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Universal Right Knee Question
John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:02 am    

Why do many standard Universal setups (Carter for instance)
have the E->Eb change on RKR and E->F
change on RKL?
I just find it particularly awkward and had it changed on my guitar into:RKR D#->D and
B->D;RKL E->Eb (and Eb->C#) and the E->F change is on the LKL (which I find much more "usual").And the RKL is never in the way when I play the B6th tuning.
Maybe there's a mechanical reason for it?
Thanks.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:21 am    

No reason other than habit, John (as far as I can tell)
Some were just used to doing it that way -- Jeff Newman being one prominent example. He also played the Day configuration.

For what it's worth, my levers are exactly as you describe and have been for over 30 years -- ever since I started playing U-12.

Some universal players even lower E's on LKR, but I don't advocate that placement myself.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:30 am    

FWIW, The Newman material I have from the 81-82 timeframe has E>F's on LKL and E>Eb's on RKR.
That's how I've always had my axe's setup.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:34 am    

I think that your way is more standard, John.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:44 am    

John - That is exactly how I set up my Mullen U-12. It is much more comfortable for me to hold the right knee in the left position when playing the B6 side of the tuning. It is also easier for me to isolate that movement from the up and down movement of the volume pedal. I've always had a problem using the right-knee-right lever without affecting the volume pedal.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Mullen U-12, Excel 8-string Frypan, Evans FET-500, Fender Steel King

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:53 am    

Lee- Good point. Another good thing about Eb's on RKL is it is easier mechanically to hold it in and still put your right foot down on the pedals 7 or 8...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 10:30 am    

It requires less physical effort to hold a knee lever moving to the outside of your leg instead of the inside of it.

Try this:

Sit down in any chair.

Now Relax.

Note which way your leg moves.

That's the logic of lowering the E's on the RKR.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:23 am    

Mine moves inward -- EVERY TIME
It is FAR easier for me to hold RKL than RKR.
Tried it both ways.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:42 am    

To each his own. I prefer to have my E raises on LKL and E lowers on LKR as I play the Buddy Emmons A,B,C pedal set up. I do not find that going to the B6 tuning is a problem with this setup. I just simply move my left foot over to pedals 4 thru 7 as I hold the LKR in. It's very natural this way and causes no problems for me.
My B to D raise is on my RKL as I do not use it that much and that allows me to keep my volume pedal foot free to use mostly for volume, HMMMMM.
Since you use the E raises and lowers most, I don't understand why a person would want to have that on the same foot/leg as your volume pedal. That's a lot of action for one limb.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:58 am    

I'm with Larry. Both of my legs move inward. Maybe it's the way my arse is designed.

Doug - With those two levers on different legs, it's much easier to release one lever and actuate the other lever, effectively giving you a whole-tone raise or lower on the E strings.

Lee

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 12:52 pm    

I have always had the same opinion as John Fabian. Jeff Newman did not use a lock for the B6 tuning. He just held the RKR while playing B6.
My leg can hold the lever with less effort by pushing to the right. I guess it's a matter of muscle tone in different individuals.
After I bought Jeffs U12 Marlen, I had a lock lever installed. By using the lever, both feet are available when playing B6, although I rarely use both feet.

------------------
www.home.earthlink.net/~johnd37

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 1:04 pm    

I'm new to the U12, and my E lower is on my LKR, but I find this comfortable and natural feeling to me. I can easily hold LKR and reach all 5 of my right side pedals with my left foot.

How ever I'm not going to say that farther down the road, and the deeper I get into this U12 that it won't creat another problem of some kind. Guess I'll wait and see.

Larry

------------------
"Fessy" S/D 12, 8/6 Hilton Pedal, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Gord Cole

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 1:54 pm    

Set up on my MSA Universal:
Lower on RKL
Raise on LKL
-gc

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 2:04 pm    

I'm with Larry and Lee. I can go between raised and lowered Es smoother when they are on different knees (incidentally, Paul Franklin thinks the same way on D10). I'm not sure how which way your leg flops at rest figures into this. Most muscles that pull in toward the body (contractors) seem stronger than muscles that push away (extensors)(lats vs. deltoids, biceps vs. triceps, etc.), and the same seems to be true of my leg muscles. And simply holding the LKL over for extended use of the B6 mode does not interfere with my volume pedal use as much as constantly going on and off the lever that lowers E to D (replacing C6 pedal 6) every time I want a IV7 chord - that is my most used change in B6 mode, equivalent to the AB pedal change on E9.

------------------
Student of the Steel: Zum uni, Fender tube amps, squareneck and roundneck resos, tenor sax, keyboards

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 30 May 2006 at 03:06 PM.]

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 4:15 pm    

I like Al's mention of your foot being right there for pedals 7 and 8 when using the RKL for lowering the E's for B6 playing , but after so many years or riding Harley's, my leg has the natural lean toward the outside , so I am more comfortable using a more Newman approach and lowering my E's with my RKR ....I also play Day pedals .....I think it's more a matter of preference than anything else.....Jim

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 31 May 2006 1:40 pm    

Thank you all!