The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Sidekick adjustment question.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 6:19 am    

I am trying to get a MSA Sidekick back in proper adjustment. It has 3 pedals and one knee.

The question I have is on the knee. The manual says the knee should LOWER strings 4 and 8 one step. The way this guitar is set up, the knee RAISES 4 and 8. The only way I can see that this could be changed is if the knee lever rod attachment on the end of the cross shaft were loosened and rotated downward. This would then PUSH the rod back toward the changer rather than pulling. So how do you get the needed "slack" in the finger with the string up to pitch to be able to "release" it back in order to lower the string?? When the string is up to pitch the finger is pulled back against the adjustment screws on the back of the changer.

Anyone help me with this??

Question #2. I saw on a couple of archived posts that it might more versatile to lower strings 2 and 8 rather than 4 and 8. Good idea?? Down a whole step on each?

Edit. I can now see that the trick will be to figure how to adjust the finger to be away from the rear of the changer with the string up to pitch and then when the knee is pressed, the rod will push backward and release the finger towards the rear of the changer.

[This message was edited by Bill Hatcher on 08 May 2006 at 07:25 AM.]

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 8:49 am    

BILL

I had a Fender with 3/p and 1/k. The Knee was set up to adjust the 2nd string and 8th string. That is a prity standard set up for a PSG With one kL. The set up you have with 1 knee effecting the 4th & 8th strings usually has two K's. I have a MSA D10 8/2 and the Knee set up effects the E9th Deck. On mine the RKL Raised the 4th and 8th strings and the RKR lowers the 4th & 8th strings. some are set up reversed from this. So what is my point do nothing with the present arrangement and add another KL that would lower the 4th & 8th. There are players on this Forum that know a lot more than I do but that is my suggestion.

I've got help from Hook Moore, Bob Bowman, Don Poland, just to mane three. You will get an answer that will work for you and most instruction on how to do it.

Wayne
MSA D10/ 8/2

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 9:14 pm    

I don't no much about the Sidekick.

Does it have a Pull/Release changer mechanism?

If so, and assuming you raise the fourth string with the C pedal, it becomes quite complicated to lower the same string with a knee lever.

The changer finger has to be held in the neutral position by spring-loading the knee lever.