The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E scale strings 43 and 46
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 10:05 am    

I have seen this addressed in other postings but I couldn't find them using the search pattern "E major scale". I must have overlooked it.

I know that I start out on a major third and when I advance the root E to F# the third must be flatted. Is that correct? So that makes the sequence after E G# an F# A to maintain the major third. Is that correct? What is the theory behind multi-string major scales?

Thank you;

Sherman

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 10:21 am    

As concise as possible, Sherman----

look at your major scale:

E F# G# A B C# D# E

your harmonized thirds (this is what the thing you are describing is called) will all be taken from this set of notes. The pairings will be a third apart. So your pairs will be E/G#, F#/A, G#/B, A/C#, B/D#, C#/E, D#/F#,..

They are: a maj 3rd, a minor 3rd, a min 3rd, a maj 3rd, a maj 3rd, a min 3rd a min 3rd. I can't begion to tell you about why & all--one could write a book which I'll leave to someone else. But the key point is that all your notes are drawn from the scale within which you are working. Come to a chord change and you will need to reset the pool of available notes (unless the new chord shares the same set).

Hope this is semi-clear.

Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 10:35 am    

Thank you, Jon. I didn't see the third as part of the scale until you pointed it out.

Sherman

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 10:43 am    

SHERMAN

GO TO "STEEL PLAYERS". ABOUT THE 10TH ITEM DOWN ON THAT SIGHT YOU WILL FIND "MAJOR, MINOR & 7TH SCALES E9th" POSTED BY MARC FRIEDLAND. ENTER THAT POST AND SCAN DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE AN ENTRY BY JAY FAGERLIE. HE HAS POSTED A WEB SIGHT THAT SHOWS MARC.s CHARTS. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, BUT IN IT'S SELF IT IS A VERY VALUABLE TOOL.

wayne
MSA D10 8/2