The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EXCEL (supeerb & leyless players???
Wes Hamshaw

Pacific City, Oregon * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2006 8:20 am    

Am close to buying a new Universal 12 steel Guitar.

After close study of the various quality steels available these days, I have come to the conclusion that the Excel Universal 12 (superb & keyless) would be just about the right choice for me.

The old Packard automobile slogan used to be “ask the man who drives one”.

Any information (pro & con ) regarding these guitars would be most appreciated.

Please post here on the forum or, if you prefer, e-mail me at: docmidge@rglobal.net. Thanks much......Wes

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2006 8:32 am    

...don't drive one; but have seen and heard:

...beautiful sound; ugly to look at (as are all keyless).

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2006 12:13 pm    

From someone who knows!

Michael Johnstone
posted 10 September 2004 10:01 AM profile send email edit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't hesitate for a second. The Excel Superb 12 string keyless is by far the most mechanically sophisticated and great sounding steel I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of them. The 25.5" scale is very rich harmonically and very forgiving in the high registers as far as intonation is concerned. The strings hook on very easily and due to a unique changer design, strings never break. When I say it doesn't break strings,I mean the guitar never ever breaks any strings whatsoever - not the 3rd string or any other string no matter how long you leave it on there. I've played 50 gigs without breaking my 3rd string and finally changed it because it went dead.It has a bold twang,a rich tone with a voice all its own - nothing generic tonewise like a lot of very popular brands I could name. I'm extremely happy with mine and can't imagine playing anything else.
-MJ-

Keyless baby yeah!

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2006 12:15 pm    

quote:
After close study of the various quality steels available these days, I have come to the conclusion that the Excel Universal 12 (superb & keyless) would be just about the right choice for me.

You have now come to the beginning of understanding........ Welcome! Enter in!

------------------
I'd rather be opinionated, than apathetic!

[This message was edited by Curt Langston on 29 April 2006 at 01:17 PM.]

Carlos Polidura

Puerto Rico
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2006 12:43 pm    

hi wes,
in my opinion, you will not go wrong with an excel guitar. i have a d-ten keyless w/ 8 & 9 and i'm very pleased with it. very light, small in size with tone and volume control and a very big sound, very easey to travel with.
what else can i say... i love it.
carlos

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2006 4:30 pm    

I just recieved my first NEW pedal steel and it's an Excel U-12.....In as few words as possible , don't hessitate at all buying an Excel ....It's got some of the best engineering in the business, and sounds great from top to bottom .... I've owned probably a dozen steels in the last 2 years , and the Excel is in the top 2 ....Jim

[This message was edited by James Quackenbush on 30 April 2006 at 05:31 PM.]

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 7:04 pm    

"Ask the man who owns one". Should I have to play any other make, I would just have to hang it all up. The engineering is as the model says-SUPERB. IMHO the keyless , changer design-and the very clever "cabinet drop elimination system is the best on the market. Bar none. (Steel guitar pun there-lol)
Bill Stafford

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 3:56 am    

Keyless is not the only guitar that does not break strings. IO left my Jagwires on my Sho-bud Pro 1 for 5 months, untill the strings started sounding bad and never broke a string. On my Professional, the jagwires Leon put on when he built it is still going strong not a breakage yet.
Guitars played every day,usually 4 hour gigs on weekends.

ernie

johnopsg

Tracy, Calif., U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 9:22 am    

I recently bought a used Excel-Superb,U-12. I am playing and using it twice weekly at local gigs....it is light, rugged, keyless-ugly,keeps in tune better than most, compensates some for cab-drop, does not break strings!!!,sounds pretty good whenver I'm awake,and I will buy a new one when I can save enough $$$...I want a couple more levers/pulls that this one does not have presently. IMO, very nice mahcining- detailing on metal parts,polishing, and finish. Pretty nice guitar.