The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Intrusive Malwarebytes tray app.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 1:08 pm    

I dropped Malwarebytes a couple of years ago and uninstalled it. From time to time, I would get a box wanting me to renew it and I disregarded it. A couple of days ago, my computer would simply stop responding to my commands and I would have to reboot to get it going again. Checking out my Task Manager, I kept seeing "Malwarebytes tray application". I would simply end it and go on. When this kept happening, I searched uninstall Malwarebytes and got an option to uninstall again, which I did. Now my computer operates normally. So this begs the question, was this a legitimate Malwarebytes app or a fake?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2020 9:38 pm    

Are you saying that you uninstalled Malwarebytes and are still getting renewal reminders in the Systray? That is not standard behavior. The only time I've seen a popup from the tray is when a subscription has lapsed and the program is installed and operating in manual mode. The prompts usually stop after one tells the popup to remain in unlicensed, manual mode.

If you disabled Malwarebytes without uninstalling it, that might explain the renewal reminders. Also, a partial de-installation may have left the renewal component intact.

One way to clean up the mess is to download the current version and install it, then reboot, then uninstall it, then reboot again.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 12:53 pm    

I was using the free version, then I deemed my onboard was sufficient, so I dropped Malwarebytes and uninstalled. My main point was could this have been something posing as Malwarebytes, since it was freezing up my commands until I uninstalled whatever was calling itself "Malwarebytes tray application"? Anyway thanks for your response. the problem is gone now.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 3:50 pm    

Was this the notice you were receiving?
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 9:07 pm    

I had been getting that one for at least two years and it seemed it was causing no trouble. However, I have led you down the wrong path, since now the problem has come back and seems to be unrelated to Malwarebytes. After a couple of days of normal operation since I uninstalled, my computed will not act on any commands unless I shut it off and turn it back on. Then it may go 30 min. or an hour before seizing.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2020 11:11 pm    

It may be best if you perform a Windows Reset. Are you on Windows 10? If so, you can open Settings, then go to Update and Security, then move down the left to Recovery and click on it. The top option on that page is Reset This PC. Once you click on Get Started you will have two options. One allows you to keep your personal files, settings and account names, but deletes non-Microsoft Store apps. The other wipes out everything that didn't ship with Windows and reinstalls the OS.

After either type of reset, you'll need to reinstall your programs and reactivate their licenses.

Here are search results about resetting your PC.

Clyde Mattocks

Post  Posted 21 Feb 2020 8:59 am    

Thanks.