The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  router in different room from desktop?
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 2:51 pm    

Probably didn't state question right....
Will this(or similar) device work for a desktop wireless hookup to a router in another part of a building? Thanks Bill

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 3:18 am    

Most USB wireless adapters will work. However, a wired connection is preferred.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 4:06 am    

Wifi has no way of knowing the physical location of clients connecting to it - it's just a matter of signal strength, which varies, depending on distance and physical barriers. If there's a lot of metal between the router and a device trying to connect, that can be a problem.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 25 Nov 2017 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 5:54 am    

The system is password protected. A wired connection is not an easy option, also this computer will only be used much less than normal.

Thanks...Bill

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 9:57 am    

I have both wired and wireless connections from my router, which I set up next to my cable modem. The signal easily reaches through the one or two walls to the devices. But, there is a big difference in the speed of the bits and bytes depending on which wi-fi band is used to connect to your router. The longest reach comes from the lower 2.5 Ghz band, which penetrates walls better. The best throughput comes from the higher 5 Ghz band, which doesn't travel as far.

If you are going to buy a wireless adapter, make sure it covers both high and low bands. If it also supports the newer "AC" protocol, you'll get even higher speeds, as long as your wi-fi router also supports those things. Check the specs on the router first. If it doesn't support 5Ghz, consider getting a new router that does (plus "AC").
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 12:45 pm    

Very helpful info,Would one like a flash drive shape, or as pictured that can be moved around (like rabbit ears)be better? Thanks

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 12:12 am    

Bill Ford wrote:
Very helpful info,Would one like a flash drive shape, or as pictured that can be moved around (like rabbit ears)be better? Thanks

It really depends on how far and how many solid walls lie between the router and the wireless adapter. If you want the best reception and are over 40 feet from the router, go for the aim-able antenna type. Also, if you are connecting to a 5Ghz network, it is best to plug the adapter into a USB 3.0 port, if your computer is do equipped. Otherwise, you may lose some speed using USB 2.0.

If you are more than 60 feet from the router, consider buying a range extender that covers all three protocols/frequencies. I use a Netgear AC1900 that is half way between my shop and the office wireless router. The office is about 100 feet away and there are 4 commercial walls between us. Without the extender, I got crappy connections and very slow page loading times. With a 5Ghz connection, my Dell Latitude is flying along and my partner in the other room can stream music over the Interwebs, with his laptop that is 20 feet farther away from mine, using just a 2.4 Ghz connection.

Most of the current smartphones can receive both 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless signals.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog