The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Es sharp or straight up? (Peterson content)
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 12:44 pm    

I've always tried to stick to the later Newman chart when it comes to tuning, with sharped Es. And once I got my Peterson tuner (StroboStomp 2), it made that easier, since it has a "sweetened" PSG tuning with sharped Es that is based off of the later JN chart.

However, my tuner also has a setting for Es at straight up (relative to a 440 A note), and their website says "This is based on Jeff Newman's earlier system where the E strings are at concert pitch." I've never tried that sweetened preset tuning, and I'm not familiar with that older JN chart or what the values of the other notes were (although it's surely and easily searchable on here).

I know some on here throw tempered tunings out the window and tune everything straight up (like Buddy did for a spell). For those of you who don't sharpen your Es, does the E-440 Peterson sweetened tuning do that system any justice? Do you know? If not, what system do you use that involves concert pitch Es?

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 1:36 pm    

I always use the SE9 and tune the E's with A & B pedals down.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 2:11 pm    

I'm using the Sweetened SE9/SC6 tunings on my Franklin. I used to use the old (original) Newman with E's at "0" but when I got the new Peterson I tried the Sweetened and it worked. I've used it for about 2 years.

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 10:09 pm    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
I always use the SE9 and tune the E's with A & B pedals down.

Wow. That must make them way sharp, or at least it would on my guitar.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 12:43 am    

Some years ago a recorded a couple of very carefully tuned guitar rhythm tracks in the key of A and E just to check how the original Newman tuning felt and sounded playing over the tracks compared to the sharpened version. The sharpened tuning essentially did not work at all for me in that situation.

The reason is surely that the root tones of the key must be very closely tuned in pitch. Thirds, fourths, sixths, sevenths and other tones sound quite natural significantly sharp or flat of their even tempered equivalents. As long as the pedal steel didn't inhabit the same stereo pan and timbre as the even tempered instruments, thirds and other tones sounded quite acceptable clashing a bit in pitch.

The slight adjustment I've been using for years is to tune the A to 440. Then the E is very slightly sharpened. But I do tune almost straight up A/E Just rather than the Newman tuning which is close to A Just for certain crucial notes.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 4:56 am    

I use 0E9 with pedals up.
Sometimes sort of tune so the Es are a hair sharp pedals up and a hair flat with pedals down splitting the difference.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 6:36 pm    

I tune OE9, and tune the E's with the A and B pedals activated.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:29 am    

I used the sweetened turnings for quite a while, but found that when I play in our gospel group, the original tuning sounds more in tune with the keyboard.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 9:08 am    

I switch depending on the group I am playing with. For one group the OE9 sounds better, but with another group the SE9 sounds better. I have no idea why, maybe they are using different brands of tuners?

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 9:40 am    

i used SE9 for quite a while, i switched to OE9 about a year ago and think i like it better, at least on my guitar.