The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blue Jade for C6th lap steel
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 3:47 am    

Right you are, Doug.

Buddy was an early member here on the forum and I recall my awe when he'd answer a question I'd ask or contribute a story. It didn't last long and sadly, I think all those posts were lost in a server crash years ago.

Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 4:13 am    

Andy. Just listened to all the links you posted. Really great inspiring material and a fantastic player. You have just got to love music. There are a few players that just seem to transcend their instruments and the beauty of the music just flows. Buddy Emmons is one of these players. Feeling pretty good now!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 5:34 am    

So glad to intro Buddy's work to new ears!

Few musicians accomplish for a given instrument what Buddy did for steel guitar... led the way in instrument set-up, technique, tone production and musical concepts, industrial design; played indelible solos; stood as an equal with the greatest standard guitarists (Danny Gatton, Lenny Breau, etc.); composed songs that have become standards, played classic, much-imitated solos on vocal recordings; led the instrument into modern jazz, etc. etc. and also gigged as a bass player!

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 7:29 am    

Sounds like your next book Andy.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 7:39 am    

Andy, I too was amazed at how accessible Buddy was here on the forum. I learned a lot from his posts. One time a forum member told him he was trying desperately to get "that tone"... that sound... those Emmons licks. Buddy told him that he should work on developing his own sound. He said otherwise you might as well put "a ring through your nose" and be led around! Pretty good advice. When Peggy passed away Buddy posted a long, heartfelt thread about her and how much she meant to him and how empty his life was without her. For a man of few words in person he revealed a lot here on the forum.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 7:41 am    

Forgot about this one ... Buddy was the first steel guitarist to record a jazz record. He didn't recall it as a good experience but this LP was hugely influential nonetheless.He later became even more fluent in modern jazz after being influenced by jazz guitarist Pat Martino and gigging with Danny Gatton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg6UlALA4RQ

Lots of folks more qualified to write about Emmons than me.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:19 am    

Buddy wasn't happy with that record because he had to use the amp that was in the N.Y. studio. And the record company put a Multi-Kord steel guitar on the cover... a reverse image, so the guitar is "backwards". Buddy was used to recording in Nashville, and the N.Y. studio guys were a different vibe, to say to least.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 9:28 am    

Here's a good summary of Buddy's contributions: http://nodepression.com/article/buddy-emmons-appreciation

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 4:23 pm    

Some FMs may not know that Buddy started on a lap steel and quickly progressed to a Fender Custom ( T-8 ). And then to an early Stringmaster Quad.
One time on the Forum he was inquiring about a member's Custom... asking about the scale length, etc. I'm sure it brought back some teenage memories for him.