The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning, Servicing, etc. of '55 Fender Dual Pro Steel
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 11:40 pm    

Guys:

I just landed a nice '55 Fender Dual Professional 6 String Steel. Seems to be in nice shape, but I really wanna clean and shine 'er up.

So, how do I do that/what do I use? Especially for the tuner beds?

Here's a few pics. And, can anyone tell me who Fannie is? I know a bit about Gloria, but if anyone knows who she really was, that would be cool, too. Thanks!

Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 6:57 am    

Nice! Doesn't really look that dirty to me. I use Flitz metal polish (sparingly - a little goes a long way) with a soft cloth on metal parts. Rub on, wipe off. Removes tarnish, patina and rust. Can be used on paint sometimes too.

Chris Clem

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 7:51 am    

Those names would be "Annie" (I can't remember her last name) and Gloria Fuentes.I didn't know them but I believe I saw photos of them in Bill Carson's book,which I don't have.

Other names you see penciled in Fender guitar cavities was Mary and Lupie.Lupie worked at Music Man when I was working there in the mid 70s.She was the foreman in the amp soldering department and was a friend of Leo's.Music Man was mostly people who had originally work at Fender.......Chris

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 5:58 pm    

My '54 Dual Pro had "Mary" written in it...

I gave that to Bobby Ingano a few moths ago...

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 6:12 pm     Thanks, fellas!

You guys are awesome. I really appreciate that info.

One thing I wasn't specific about was dirt, junk down in the well. Do I need to take the tuners out to clean it thoroughly? If so, how do I do it?

Any other tips?
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 6:39 pm    

If you're talking about cleaning down inside the tuner pan then disassembly is not really feasible with these tuners. There is a way to do it when having to replace one (basically de-soldering the button from the shaft), but you definitely don't want to just for cleaning. Reach what you can with a cloth. Maybe use cue-tips or something to get under and around the string posts with polish if you want to be really meticulous.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 12:11 am     Wile We're at it....

Could someone explain how the tuners work on these things?

When would it be necessary to take these all apart (say in the case of the slightly bent tuner below) and how's it done (to say nothing of putting Humpty back together again)?

Much thanks!.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 7:37 am    

I'd just grab ahold of it with a plier and straighten it out.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:16 pm    

I do a lot of restorations on vintage gear.

Grease, oils and related oil-based "stuff" can be safely removed with naphtha. Ronson lighter fluid (not charcoal lighter) is essentially the same thing. IT will not harm the finish, any of the metal parts, plastics - every tech I know keeps it on their workbench.

For metal parts the best - and safest - material I have found is "Flitz" in a squeeze tube. It works great on nickel and chrome plating, plus many plastics.

And for vintage finishes I only use Stewmac's Preservation polish. It will clean and polish the lacquer, plus it removes the silicones left behind by most other polishes. Every time I use it on a"new" vintage piece I'm amazed at how much crud comes off - even if it seems clean.

Hope that helps.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 8:54 am    

If that bent tuner stem is functional, I would leave it alone. You'd be really set back if it broke in an attempt to straighten. I've got one like that on my '49 National Grand Console. Part of the charm, along with the mouse teeth marks on the inside bridge corner of the body.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 9:16 am    

+1 on the naphtha. It's great for cleaning sticky, oily residue and will not damage the finish.

I would not force that tuner shaft to straighten it. It will very likely snap, and then you'll have a bigger problem. I know, I've been there! Neutral

Just enjoy the guitar, play it as is. It has character!