The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB: “Player Grade” 80s Fender Telecaster
Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:06 pm    

Howdy friends... put this up on my local Craigslist recently and figured this would be a decent spot to put it too... I’m just copying and pasting my CL post, so here goes:

“Long shot post here, but I'm putting it out there. I'm a full-time working musician and am beginning the widen the search for a Telecaster that I can hang onto forever, a life-long buddy... "the one" if you will...

At my pay grade, I'll probably never be able to afford a 60s or 70s vintage Tele, so I'm pretty specifically looking for an early 80s (1980-1986) USA Fender Telecaster. I'd greatly prefer a maple neck, but am especially only interested in guitars with a very thin, V shape profile.

Not interested in any copies, boutique brands, or partscasters - Fender USA only... cosmetics are unimportant, and as a working player, I'm not looking for a collector piece, so "player grade" and the appropriate pricing for such an axe is ideal. If you have something like this you'd consider parting with, let's chat and go from there.. Emails or Texts only to get the conversation going, calls will be ignored due to spam potential...

Thanks for your consideration!”

Specifically for those on the steel forum here - I do have other 6 string guitars, steel/studio gear etc that I may be interested in including in the right deal, but I’m mostly curious if anyone has something that fits this description in a closet somewhere not getting the attention it deserves. If so let me know!

Last edited by Ben Waligoske on 30 Nov 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 9:27 am    

ben: you may want to put it in the wanted section.

also note that relatively few american telecasters were made from about 1980 until 1986 or so around the time bill schultz bought fender. most during that time were made in japan and they are recognized by a lot of people as excellent guitars.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 3:43 pm    

Totally hear you, but always feel more eyes see things in this section. But mods, feel free to move!

And yes, I’m aware of the small numbers of USA Fenders from that era, which is what makes the search so hard! The MIJ guitars are nice, but I’m searching for my “white whale” so to speak... never catch a fish without a line in the water! Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 1:52 am    

Ben , let me start by saying I am Telecaster anal, even a snob ! Friends hand me their Teles and ask me how I like it and apparently I come across as a know it all and give it back with an " oh it's nice" comment. Laughing I try to be pleasant but my Tele snobbery obviously shows up ! Over the last decade or so I have been playing music with an exceptionally good Tele picker , evidently he and I are Tele snobs together, we can both pick up dozens of Tele's and have the exact same opinion. I suspect they have medicine for this !

I have been playing Telecasters since 1965 when I bought my first one in NYC , 48th street. They are not just guitars to me, they are part of me, personality, being, whatever. Maybe I should take meds for this !

Oh well...

Maybe open your search to include any 80's / 52RI. While the 80's series draws a few dollars more they are crazy good guitars from the USA factory. Very consistent all the way thru thru early 90's. I know this first hand, I own 2 ,an 88 and an 89. If you can find an 82 thru 85 or so , they are in very high demand but there are not that many of them , so they are commanding higher bucks. These all have the vintage classic pickups, 7.25 neck radius and fatter frets. Ash bodies, maybe Alder on a few. As a Tele picker, you know what you have in your hands .

Another choice may be the MIJ / 62 RI series, the double bound series . Not cheap but worth every penny. I own one from 87 and it is really one fine guitar , compares very close to the 52 RI's in play ability. Exceptional quality as well. These also have the 7.25 neck radius , a tad thinner frets and pups that are a tad brighter. Basswood bodies as thats whats available in Japan. These guitars are not to be compared with the standard issue MIJ Telecasters from the same era, which are also pretty nice. I have owned several of those but they are not the same. Nice, but not the same. My snobbery says, don't tell me they are the same as the 62 RI series, they are not !

I have also owned a CV guitar , I bought one just because everyone says how good they are, they have great necks so they say. Well, it ain't that great, I gave it away, I didn't even try to sell it ! Is it a good player ? sure, but I ain't holding no made in China $275 Telecaster while playing Haggard tunes, to me that just ain't right Laughing . The pickups on my RI's cost half the price of those entire guitars so once again my snobbery comes front and center. Laughing

Maybe I should join one of those monthly Tele Snob anonymous support groups.

good luck on your search , let us know what you end up with .

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 4 Dec 2017 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 5:51 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
Ben , let me start by saying I am Telecaster anal, even a snob ! Friends hand me their Teles and ask me how I like it and apparently I come across as a know it all and give it back with an " oh it's nice" comment. Laughing I try to be pleasant but my Tele snobbery obviously shows up !

Maybe I should join one of those monthly Tele Snob anonymous support groups.

Well, you know, accepting the problem is the most important first step. I commend you for acknowledging it.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 6:58 am    

The Telecasters that tick all my 'boxes' are the Thin-Skins made, I believe, by the Custom Shop from 2009 for a few years.

I have one that is my go-to guitar - a '60s replica with rosewood f'board and .6105 frets. That 'C' neck suits me perfectly. This cost me $1500 in 2009.

I recently got another - this is another Thin-Skin but a '52 replica. Unlike actual early-'50s Teles with their rather 'clubby' necks this one, while having a maple neck, has a 'C' shape and, again, .6105s. I got this one slightly used for $1485.

I've had Dave Evans install his patent pull-string unit in the ''52' while my earlier Lake Placid Blue one has the Joe Glaser bender.

Now it's hard to choose between them! I, too, am very fussy about Telecasters. When they're 'right' they're sublime!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 9:05 am    

Why are you limiting your search to a "Fender USA only".. Some of them are garbage, plain and simple, while its MIJ MIM counterpart might be a superlative guitar.. they are all individuals...
I doubt you'll have any interest, but I have a Washburn USA Laredo telecaster that production Fenders can't touch.. Wilkensen harware, Duncan pickups w P90 in neck position, Tele 59 in bridge,Maple neck, solid swamp ash body.. good shape, plays like a dream, but it was my #1 tele for years , and its got some age patina.. Frets and board in great shape..Before you decide it isn't for you, look up the reviews online .. Washburn USA Laredo... I no longer play out, and its been sitting for years.. It will sell for a lot less than an inferior USA Fender from the 80's-90's era..
I don't need to sell it, but its not going to be played again.. If not for you fine, but honestly, there are GREAT teles out there, that are as good or better than USA Fender and for less money,.... why limit yourself because of a waterslide decal on a headstock?.. bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 9:57 am    

I agree, Bob, especially at the point (early-'80s) when the first official Japanese Fenders appeared. The lines are now a bit more blurred as some of the US-made Custom Shop stuff is exceptional. Not all but some.

I've always been irked that a premium is charged by Fender USA for these 'vintage reissues' when, in truth, they should cost no more than a run-of-the-mill Tele or Strat. They're essentially the same with some cosmetic changes.

It was bad enough paying $1500 for each of mine but at least they are good. These absurd 'relic' efforts can cost three or four times that! Outrageous for two lumps of wood and four screws.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2017 8:54 pm    

I hear and respect every response on here, thanks fellas!

Tony and Roger, that’s some great info and it’s always good to know what other well educated pickers prefer - bottom line is I know every guitar has a unique personality, but I know the general specs I’m looking for, and for the right guitar, I’d even consider buying a flight to play it in person before purchasing.

And Bob, you’re right - there are great MIM, MIJ, and Asian Teles, not to mention tons of great boutique USA copies. And I’ve played loads of vintage USA Teles that kinda suck... The simple fact is I’ve played most of these variations, and I do have a great Partscaster that gets the job done, so I’m just being real picky. As I mentioned in my initial post, I’m looking for “the one”, that hopefully will be enough for me to never want another Tele - and for me, if I’m gonna spend the money, that seems to be an (early) 80s USA made Tele with a small, Fast neck and maple board Smile Call me a purist?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 3:03 am    

Ben Waligoske wrote:

I’m looking for “the one”, that hopefully will be enough for me to never want another Tele -

and that right there is a crucial factor , finding the "one" and keeping it. The problem is finding one that you think is the "ONE" and then learn it's not. Trading or selling an off brand or even an MIM is not an easy task. The markets are just chock full with crazy low prices. MIJ's from specific era's such as the 80's are somewhat in demand, but other than that if it's not a USA build, it ends up being in discount mode. It has nothing to do with how good they may be or how good they may play. That crazy water slide decal and USA s/n carry more clout than how good the guitar is. every day all day.

in 2002 I bought my 1989 /52/RI, it has been a blessing, I knew it was the "ONE" when I first had it in my hand at a guitar show. The story is a bit crazy. My friend and I were walking a local guitar show for a few hours, there was maybe 2 or 3 Tele's in the room out of thousands of guitars. None really sold me but one I was willing to buy was a USA 90's something or other. All of a sudden this guy walks in , seemed like he walked right up to me, holding the 89 and says, anyone looking for a Tele ? What were the odds that i would be right near the door of a very large room with probably over 1000 people walking around, and he walks right up to me ? I was next to a dealer and he grabbed it but did not want to pay $800 . I stayed silent for a moment then asked to see it. The dealer handed it to me, I checked it out and said "SOLD for $800". My friend thinks I stole it from the dealer but I just said that he had his chance to say I'll take it and never did. He was trying to get it for a much lower price. He didn't argue when I said "SOLD". I think he wanted to sell it to me for $800. The dealer is the one who handed it to me. Tweed case included by the way.

Bottom line, that guitar is still my main axe, it has gone to every gig since then. The pups have been changed a few times , selector switch and pots 2 or 3 times, saddles a few times , the nut has been changed and the frets have been re-dressed a few times. The body has several nicks and dings , I call it character. It is gig worn.

Since then ( 2002) I have owned easily another 15 or 20 Tele's. USA, MIJ ,MIM and CIC. Each seemed ok for a while but none ever rose to the status of the 89. All were fine with good play-ability. The ones that I had a hard time selling or trading were the MIM's, the MIJ's not so bad while the USA's sold immediately. The China guitar, I gave it away. That was just 1 year ago.

I have come to this conclusion, much like Steel guitars and amps, I buy what I understand to be market accepted. It's not about money but of course money is a factor. To me there is nothing worse than buying gear or Instruments where I'm the only one that likes it, because I may wake up tomorrow and find I don't like it anymore ! Sad

On the other hand I do have some Instruments that will return to dust with me, the 89 is in that category.

The 88 USA /52RI is very much in the same category as the 89 except it's pretty much mint, no dings or dents. It could easily be the go to guitar every gig, but as of now the 89 still holds it's place as it's already a gig rag !

The 87 MIJ I acquired maybe 2 years ago, it was not cheap in the scheme of things , 11 or 12 hundred I think. It too could easily be the primary axe, but like the 88 is pretty much mint. Every now and then this one gets gig duty and the 89 gets a night off.

regarding the MIJ 87/62RI, here is my snobbery coming through. I have a few friends who own one of those Classic Vibe China Sunburst guitars, $379 new. They attempt to tell me they are the same or better than the 87 MIJ, ok, here's where we stop the nonsense. They are nice but they are not even close . Side by side they may look the same but once you actually pick them up and play them, the differences are duly noted. Tele purists (snobs like me) can sight the differences in a NY minute while those that are just wanting a nice guitar may not even recognize the differences. Then, try selling one of those $379 Classics Made in China guitars should you want to. Of course you don't have much in it so the loss may not be so important or dramatic.

good luck on your search !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 5 Dec 2017 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 5:08 am    

My circa 2011 '52 RI is a fantastic guitar which cost me about $1100 five years ago, but the one I built myself back in the nineties is even better – alder body with birdseye maple top and bottom, 12" ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, a Gotoh brass bridge and Bill Lawrence vintage spec pickups.

I have also got a modified Korean-built cherry-veneered Tele with a Japanese vintage style maple neck that is almost as good, which cost me just over $250. So don't discard "partscasters" automatically, is my advice.

But most of all, beware of any Fender guitar from around 1978–80 – they were truly firewood-awful back then, but younger players don't know this and pay silly vintage prices for them today. Strats were even worse than Teles. Mine was a '79 with 2 mm thick sticky plastic finish, wrong body contours, rusting chrome and crappy tuning machines... luckily, they pulled themselves together soon after that and started making good guitars once again.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 5:17 am    

Agreed, Per - I have to smile when I see a $4,000 price tag on a '78. Definitely Fender's low-point.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 5:54 am    

A friend has a "lawsuit" Ibenez Tele. He also has an early 70's Tele and the Ibenez blows it away.

I have one, a MIM Nashville Tele - about a 2000 vintage. I don't play much except in my home recording studio so its good for me.

Ben Waligoske

Denver, CO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2017 6:30 am    

You bet, these are all still great responses and Tony, that’s a great story, thanks for sharing.

Hopefully “the one” comes along, whether by way of this thread or otherwise. My partscaster is fine, it’s already earned me considerably more money than what I have into it, and I’ll probably hang onto it as it’s got some fun versatility (Bigsby, mini hum in the neck, out of phase middle position, etc) even if I buy an older stock Tele.

I agree, I’d never pay $4000+ for most late 70s guitars, but then again, I’ve played a couple that were excellent. So I have my reasons, and I know keeping the search to this vintage/USA made only etc makes it all the more difficult. But hey, The Great One Wayne Gretzky said - “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”. How apropos Smile