The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Vintage Silvertone lapsteel please close
John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 9:58 am    

PRICE DROP to $465 for the set, or I am willing to separate, $225 for the steel, $250 for the amp, plus shipping either way.This is an old, maybe late 40s/early 50s Silvertone (by Harmony) lapsteel with a Silvertone (by Danelectro) amp. The steel is pretty cool with the original Gibson P-13 pickup, but does have some issues. The neck has a twist near the peg head so treble strings are higher than the bass. This is now the third one of these I've had with the same issue and due I'm sure to the wood used, not really a big deal but if you wanted you could either deepen the string slots on the saddle to even that out, or maybe remove some from the bridge bottom on the treble side. There are some cracks in the plastic fingerboard and a couple of replaced screws. Wear to the finish with scratches and assorted chips. The knobs were missing when I got this, so I replaced with a couple of vintage bakelite "stove knob" style. Original Klusons and Silvertone (Harmony) only used those for a few years. Buttons are not cracked. The tone knob works in the reverse of what is now normal, so when you turn it up the treble is rolled off, but that was stock on this. Electronics are original; I did have to solder a small jumper on the ground where it had gotten pulled apart from likely a tug on the hard-wired plug cord (I wrapped some electrical tape on the cord inside the body to make another pull less likely), and I did spray the pots when I had it open so not scratchy. Pickup sounds good. The amp, a model 1301 is all original except I had to replace the combined volume/on/off switch with an Alpha pot of the same value and type. Knob is a 50s vintage chicken head replacement as original brown one was cracked. Some wear to the covering. Original small speaker, I think it's a 6". Power and rectifier tubes test like new, the preamp is at about 80% on my tester. Amp sounds good, just not very loud, and no question that the caps should be replaced at some point although not very noisy right now. Leather handle has some damage (where the inside metal support is now protruding at the ends) but still functions. The rubber insulation on the power cord has started to deteriorate, and there's some electrical tape around that but probably best to replace at some point. No case for the steel. I'm asking $525 OBO for the set, plus shipping, which I am guessing would be around $60 since it would go out in two boxes but I can calculate more accurately for your address. Would prefer not separating, but I will consider individual offers on amp or steel if no action on the pair. Thanks. Contact via PM.

Last edited by John Kally on 22 Dec 2017 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 8:05 am     Vintage Silvertone lapsteel with amp pretty cool PRICE DROP

Bump for the lower price.

John Kally

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2017 7:48 pm     Silver tone steel please close

Please close, no interest.