The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  slipping leg...
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:24 pm    

I've got an Encore with a lift kit and it seems that no matter how much I tighten the leg extender sleeve eventually I push down my 1 and 2 pedals and I feel something give which is the left forward leg slipping down. It'll stay in that position for a while and then it will sink again and my pedals will be hitting the floor.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? It's getting annoying.

Maybe swapping the two front legs?

Last edited by Karl Paulsen on 2 May 2017 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:31 pm    

Get a dowel too big for the inner leg, but small enough to fit in the outer leg. Start with about 3 inches, put it inside, then assemble it, measure how much to trim for the desired length. The dowel will prevent further collapse.
OR get a length of PVC pipe to fit between the pedal bar and the leg clutch.
Actually,the pipe is a better solution, if uglier.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:36 pm    

I think I'll go the dowel route. I like my guitar pretty.
Thanks!

Is this a common thing?

Is my use of a lift kit the reason for this? All the pictures of Encore's I've seen have the adjustor sleeve resting on top of the pedal bar which I assume means they are not lifted at all.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:48 pm    

The leverages involved mean that the pedal bar will be happiest snugged up to the clutches. Lift kits generally include a spacer tube.
I apologize for not remembering that bit.
If you want it pretty, I'd get a length of either Aluminum or copper pipe, polish it til it gleams, then wax it.

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 6:33 pm    

Karl - I've had the same problem. Putting in the dowel is probably the best approach but I didn't want to cut and measure - maybe I should measure then cut. Anyway, I bought 2 5/8" Chrome Plated Clamp-On Shaft Collars (Part #3370K19) from McMaster-Carr. I put one on the left front leg right on top of the pedal rack and adjusted the leg length to where I wanted it, then put the other clamp right below the clutch. The left leg stays right where I want it, the clamps match the chrome legs so nobody even notices them.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 6:59 pm    

I sold an Encore a while ago. The buyer was tall, so I raised the guitar for him. I made the pedal rod extensions. I used 1/2" dowels in all 4 legs. Here are a couple of pics.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 7:19 pm    

I'd forgotten the Encore uses the bolt. The dowel will work fine.
You only need the pipe when the pedal bar clamps to the leg.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 4:59 pm    

Crazy thing just happened.

I pulled the two front legs off to get some idea of the sizes of dowels I'd need and the one over by the volume pedal wouldn't shorten. In fact it's lowest position was exactly where I wanted the left one to be.

I took it apart and found an orange yellow plastic spacer stuck to the end of the adjustable leg! That Doug is a clever fellow.

There was no marking on that leg that I remember, but I'm pretty sure that leg is intended to be the one by the pedals. I swapped them and lowered my pedals a bit and everything seems to be hunky dory!

If I need to raise it anymore I'll glue a couple of nickels on top and if the other legs get slippy I'll dowel them, but the pedal leg is the only one that's ever slipped, so I've probably got this thing solved.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:11 am    

Someone asked - so here's a picture of how I added clamps to the left leg to prevent slippage.

Neil Murphy

Ireland
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2022 7:21 am    

This is why I love this forum.
I have an old ZB Custom that I just bought a couple of weeks ago. Sitting down to play today, the left front leg suddenly slipped, sending the pedals to the floor. I nearly gave myself blisters trying to tighten it up again. Then I read about the wooden dowel fix. Elegant in its simplicity. Playing away happily again Very Happy

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2022 1:38 pm    

Since I have started repairing PSGs, a common practice for me is to push down on the guitar to see how the leg clutches are holding up. If it looks like it has been on the road a lot, I will just service them anyway.
If there is any slippage, just disassemble the legs, put all the clutch parts in the ultrasonic cleaner and degrease the legs and clutch threads on the upper part of the leg. Usually use a brass wire brush to clean out the threads with a little simple green. Use a thread file to clean up dings if present. Dry the parts with compressed air and reinstall. Thee phenolic like material clutch parts really have to be dried thoroughly. Helps immensely and you don't have to tighten them up so much to get them to stay put. Convenient when you come across uneven floors.
I've had a few guitars come in where the leg clutches have been oiled. Most of the time it is just years of gunk, debris, and who knows what that have gotten in there.

Charlie Powell

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 5:13 am    

Here is the shaft collar I used. Easy obtainable. In stock at local Tractor Supply. I did have to open the ID ever so slightly with a Dremel tool.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hillman-shaft-collar-5-8-in-pack-of-5?cm_vc=-10005

Charlie Powell

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2022 5:28 am     For Uneven Floors

For uneven floors, I carry some of these in my seat. Quicker and easier than messing with adjusting legs so they wont be right for the floor at the next place you play...

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2022 2:55 pm    

I used a strap wrench and tightened the **** out of the knurled nut -- problem solved.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2022 3:53 pm    

The only leg I ever adjust is the right-rear. (No matter how irregular the floor, the other three legs will always sit solidly.) maintaining the left rear leg at one constant height keeps all the left-side pedal and lever physiology relationships stable and constant.

And if you have a guitar with the ZB type legs (collar not down against the pedalboard), it's probably a good idea to drill the front legs and add a screw/wingnut arrangement to secure the pedalboard. To me, that's more aesthetically pleasing than using collars or pieces of tubing.

Of course, the hidden "dowel in the leg trick" is also a good solution if the front clutches slip.