The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud Maverick Tuners
Chuck Morris

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 7:33 pm    

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to pedal steel so excuse my ignorance at times...

After starting on a Guyatone lapsteel and then to an 8-string homemade E9 lapsteel with hand levers I finally bought my first pedal steel. A modest Sho Bud Maverick. I know, I get what I pay for...

When I got it, it was tuned a full step down and later found out why. I tried to get it up to E9 on the 9th and 10th strings and seemed to strip out the tuners. I took it over to Lynn Stafford here locally and he told me that there was no saving those tuners and would need replacements. However he did get 8 of the 10 strings fixed up and in the proper tuning. That didn't bother me since I was used to playing 8 string from my lapsteel.

Well, long story longer.... now the tuner for the 7th string stripped out as well. Does anyone have tuners for these? Or a suggestion of tuners I can get that are better quality to replace them all?

Thanks,
Charlie Morris
Aspiring steel player by way of guitar (like many)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 8:19 am    

I would check out www.stewmac.com
I've usually found what I needed there. Very Happy
Erv

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 1:02 pm    

Assuming your Maverick is the later style with the recessed tuner pan, Kluson is making a re-issue 4-on-a-plate set (4x4) for Stringmasters that has the same spacing. You would need to cut off one good one from the old set for each side. I think Jimmie Hudson sells them, they are also available from a seller on Reverb.

The 5x5 are the same as used on the Fender 800/2000 and the later Sho-Bud Fenders, maybe someone has one they are parting out.

Chuck Morris

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 12:30 pm    

Thanks Ian and Erv. I found that the Kluson 6 on a plate for a guitar has the same post length as the ones on my Maverick. So I'm getting a couple of those and cutting one of the tuners off. I found these from wdmusic.com.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 1:19 pm    

You should verify the string-to-string spacing on those. I believe the standard guitar tuners have narrower spacing than what you need. Mavericks, Fenders and similar are 1" center to center. The standard guitar tuner posts also typically have a concave area where the string hole is, which may not work correctly with the guide hole in the pan, and the string hole is most likely in a different location, closer to the end of the post.