The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tuning Problem: Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Bill Bearley

Safety Harbor, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 6:28 pm    

I can get the steel in tune with the keys. All the pedals will tune except 4&8. 4 isn't as bad as 8. the worst is E to D#. that one will not come in at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 8:20 pm    

Bill on the 4th string E to D#. If the lowering member is activating. I'm assuming it's roded correctly? Try backing off the split tuning screw for that string. In other words. If the pull train is moving the finger and it's not lowering. Then the split tuning screw is likely run in too far. A 7/64 allen wrench fits the screw if I remember correctly.

b.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 9:11 pm    

That's what turned out to be the problem on mine, Bobby (with my 5th string not lowering).

I'm still mystified as to how it got out of whack. I certainly didn't do it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 1:56 am    

lets start with when was the last time it could be tuned, and what changed since then ? strings maybe ? Adjustments ?

first things first...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 8:01 am    

From the questions he ask. I'm guessing he just bought it, and I has never sat down to a LeGrande before. But I've been wrong before. Oh Well

b.

Bill Bearley

Safety Harbor, FL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 8:53 am    

Thanks for your response! Bobby, I can get the fourth string in. The eighth is a different story. I can tune it with the keys, but when I try to tune the pedal it spins like a slot machine. ( I use a Peterson Strobe tuner) If I get it to slow down a little then the open tuning starts spinning. I had three sets of S.I.T. Emmons stainless steel strings. I put the first set on and didn’t have any problems. Two days ago I put the second set on. That’s when the problem started. I thought maybe something was wrong with these so I replaced them with the third set. Same problem. I bought a different brand,(same gauges) put those on, same problem. I don’t know what I’m doing so I haven’t made ANY adjustments to this steel. I really do appreciate all of your comments!

Thanks again,
Bill

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 12:05 pm    

Bill, if you have 14 hole bell-cranks which you should have? If it's 4 hole we'll get into that later. Anyway, If the nylon tuner is just spinning and not tuning. Either the nylon tuner has striped out or the 8th string lowering rod has come lose from the bellcank. If the rod is still connected to the bell-crank. Try removing the nylon nut and installing it in reverse. (Just turn it around) and see if it will re-thread. That's my first thoughts.

b.

Bill Bearley

Safety Harbor, FL
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 1:50 pm    

Thanks, Bobby for all your help! I'm dropping it off to have it repaired today. The forum is a great place to meet good people.I appreciate all who responded!

Thanks,
Bill

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 2:26 pm    

Bobby - I believe he is talking about his strobe tuner spinning.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 1:46 am    

Bill Bearley wrote:
. I had three sets of S.I.T. Emmons stainless steel strings. I put the first set on and didn’t have any problems. Two days ago I put the second set on. That’s when the problem started. I thought maybe something was wrong with these so I replaced them with the third set. Same problem. I bought a different brand,(same gauges) put those on, same problem.

Bill

Now thats very interesting ! If we have to change Bell Crank positions because we changed strings there is something really wacky going on, especially if the first set of strings was NO PROBLEM.

Typically if a Bell Crank position is wrong and will not bring a string to pitch, raise or lower, it's WAY OFF, not a couple of holes in a 14 hole BC, but many holes off.

It's possible that on strings 4 or 8, one of the nylon changer tuning nuts is in way too far causing a false sense of the natural note and that could effect both strings on that lever not allowing that lever to return to it's "home " position. This is not that uncommon for many players with ALL PULL guitars.

The easy way to identify this is to back out both 4 and 8 nylon tuning nuts , insuring that the natural note( tuning keys) is correct. Just because we tune the natural note with the key head tuner does not mean the nylon tuning nut at the changer is not IN TOO FAR causing a false natural note ( no lever engaged) .

wishing you the best

Bill Bearley

Safety Harbor, FL
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 7:41 am    

Thanks, Tony. I did do that,and the natural E was there. It’s in for repair now. I’ll find out soon what the problem was.
Bill

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 8:24 am    

Good Bill, wishing you the best

Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 10:57 am     LGII tuning problem

The problem was the cross shaft on the pulls for the 4th and 8th string. It was in a bind and would not return properly.
If you don't suspect the 4th string it could be a real tail chaser if your not real familiar on with the how the pedal steel works.

Tune it up and all is well. Move that 4th string and everything is out again. Or at least you might think so.

Problem was taken care of by Mr George King from Woodlawn Illinois. George is a great player and as good a steel mechanic as you can find.

Tony you was right on it.

Fred

Bill Bearley

Safety Harbor, FL
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 1:53 pm    

Fred, was the one that diagnosed my problem, and connected me with Mr. George King..Two great guys with a lot of steel guitar knowledge. Again, thanks to everyone! My guitar is as good as new!!

Bill