The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud appraisal
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 1:13 pm    

A local mom & pop music shop picked up a Bud in an estate sale, bundled with a bunch of other stuff (so there's no real estimate of what they paid for it).

I was over there checking it out but I have no interest. I just want to give them good advice.

It is a blonde 6139 with 3 + 1 (original config--no holes in the underside). Double raise, single lower, swivel pullers. Body is in nice condition, nice bird's-eye, well-checked lacquer and a few cigarette burns. Chrome surround BL 705.

I did some adjusting and I'll go back and fine tune it a bit more. Under the circumstances it could have been a sad story but they got lucky and have a very good condition steel.

The single lever is the only issue with this guitar, otherwise it would merit top end of the Bud market. I told them that if I were interested in a 10 string (I'm not), I'd factor in the cost of upgrading it to 4 levers and would offer them $1300.

What do you think is the price range I should suggest to them?
Note that my interest is as a friend to the store, trying to get them a fair deal. I am not going to assist a player in trying to cheat them.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 2:05 pm    

my gut tells me you are right at the max at $1300, maybe even high by 1 or 2 hundred. It's a 3+1 , that makes it undesirable in the scheme of things. Unknowing buyers may pay top bucks but seasoned players may like it but pass. It has tons of kool factor but the 3+1 factor shows it ugly head !

I saw one like it, 3+1 , at a recent guitar show, they were asking $1000 . Blonde, same underside , ok condition, etc...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 2:42 pm    

Thanks. Looks like we're on the same page. I was worried about appearing like I was low balling them (even though I made it clear that I was not interested) so I probably quoted a bit higher than I really thought. It was only my second time in the shop so none of us know each other. But I think I made some friends today. I'll be back in later this week and I'll give them a better idea of price range.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 3:32 pm    

$1300 is a bit high unless its REALLY clean.. They might get that if they find someone desperate for an old Bud, and can't find one, but a 3 and 1 is not a good configuration these days for player in the know, and by the time 3 levers and maybe another pedal and all attendant parts are rounded up and installed, the $1300 bud has become an $1800 Bud...
If its an under the bed deal with no wear,no playtime on it, the "Bud only" guys will grab it...
Right here on these pages, we see nice 3 and 4 6139 buds in good shape for $1500 or thereabouts , sometimes even less.

If someone has a stockpile of Bud parts, I imagine they might pick it up at $1300 , add some levers, and get $1600-1700 for it, if its clean enough... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......