The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White, My favorite steel player
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 9:31 am    

Since Buddy retired, Tommy has become my #1 favorite working steel guitar player.

Chubby Howard

Franklin, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 9:37 am    

And not only is he the best, but he is a wonderful Person that I am glad to call my friend!!!! And yes he is NOW in the Steel Guitar hall of Fame!!!!!! Miss you Buddy!!!!! Chubby Howard

Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2015

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 12:47 pm    

Barry Blackwood wrote:
Since Buddy retired, Tommy has become my #1 favorite working steel guitar player.

Pretty much the same for me. After Buddy retired and John passed away, Tommy moved into the #1 spot.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 1:56 pm    

Tommy sounds so great on those old TV shows on YouTube. If he sounded any better, it wouldn't be country!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 3:50 pm    

Tommy White wrote:
In a research project on the inet, I happened upon this Steel Guitar Forum thread.

(Now, this isn't supposed to cast aspersions on Bill H., because this isn't what he was doing, he was enlivening the state.) But...

I guess you could call my previous post using the forum for a hankey. Laughing I think I'm about over my cold. Oops.. another sneeze coming..

By now this topic is a community of about four; you can say almost anything with impunity, as long as one is being nice.
The guidelines I've learned today are that all you have to do is quote somebody about steel guitar; and consider feelings.
This calls for music. Rick Schmidt, The Way I Am

I do some forum research, and have encountered many interesting conversations including about Emmons new (10 yrs ago)
pedal setup (without a C pedal) that I'm still looking for. Splitting the C in two, exactly like the original pedal--
the equivalent of splitting the atom again, paring the copedent down to its most basic parts, deconstructing, it's happening.
BE was still messing with it 10 years ago, and more and more kids and amateurs will try new things, can't be stopped.

I happen to think Mr. White has it right, and I'd say the proof is in the pudding--the playing. The relative locations of his pedals
and his E and F levers... if you could only see the beauty of geometry when it meets its match in nomenclature and body logic.
And all because Buddy didn't know his left from his right and Jimmy knew his alphabet. Notice how I'm talking about 'these guys'
as if they were my close personal friends? Why, anybody here I'll buy you a coke if they couldn't be and you're still reading this.
You will always find the insurgents on the back streets of the virtual town; I'm a recruiter.

However, both men have attained a great degree of mastery (and I say 'great' only because it has
a semi-alliterative effect on 'degree') regardless of their pedals, hemispherical dominance or relative cool.

I mean, do you talk about people when you're not talking to them, or when you are? I'll bet not; time I told Dave Brubeck
that he was my hero as a boy, he looked down from 7' hi to me at 3' and didn't say a word, just went back to listening
to the orchestra. No, you wouldn't be saying anything to those guys that you would be saying to someone else.

Or the time I asked Bill Golden if he was with the Clair Brothers. We had just opened for the Oaks (monitors!);
guess I didn't stay for the show. (I was in the dressing room signing an autograph(!).

I personally would like to praise Dick Wood on this forum, but I wouldn't want to embarass either him or me.
Em bare ass. ('Don't 'em bare ass' me if you don't mind, I've seen enough bare asses in my time.')

Every cat I've mentioned here could dig Rick Schmidt as well as they all dig each other.

Of praise.. Lao 'Buddy' Tzu would say, consider the lesser player, number 4: how does he feel?
All that praise.. is that what makes those cats good, like it's prayer?
I'll admit, there was a moment when I thought the video tape speeded up White was picking so quick it couldn't be possible--
but naw, it's their senses of humor--the way he smiles when he's done, looks at the camera, the way he treats us directly,
a directness of communication, the same way as Buddy recruited bystanders on 'Four Five Times..',
I mean, I could see that he has a gap in his front teeth just like me he was smiling so big.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvT96Iddjc
We say we praise gods, and we praise humans, the good ones. The good ones return the favor.

When you're good, there is no better. Beyond good, there is no great.
chris ivey wrote:

too much.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 4:53 pm    

Charlie, uncle Leo Eiffert himself could not have said it better. (but I would like to see him try)

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 5:30 pm    

That gave me a genuine snicker.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2015 5:55 pm    

Johnny Cox wrote:
He's still my favorite.

I re-read the original post, and I'm sorry, but I have to agree. I think he's from outer space, and has learned to love our our humanity.
It weren't for this forum I wouldn't have encountered this jazz. I thought he built guitars.

Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2015 2:03 pm    

Tommy: I listen to everything I can find on you and have some of your instruction materials and you are an absolute inspiration to me every time I hear you play. In my humble opinion you've got them all licked. There never has been a better steel player on this planet that I've heard and I hope some day to meet you and shake your hand. All the best to you and yours. Ole Nigel

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2015 11:02 am    

Tommy is much more than an incomparable Steel Guitarist, he is the most "fearless" player I have ever listened to or observed on TV or live situations...nerves of steel and the composure and aplomb of an absolute master of his craft. Add those qualities to his outstanding taste,tone,technique, and you have the consummate player in all aspects...truly an extremely talented artist and musical technition with enormous' and very rare ability!!! Btw....all of this with true and sincere humility.

Mathew Jut

Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 1:03 pm    

I'm a beginner and completely new in the pedal steel community but I also want to say something about this tremendous pedal steel player. I've never seen your live unfortunately, but you are a player that plays his own licks or existing licks and making it your own. (That is what I'm doing also at the moment, try to make all the licks my own) I've also studying your DVD now and those licks are very helpful.

However, I've been listening to several songs that is posted on Youtube like I love you so much, walk through this world with me etc. etc. Just being honest, you are the one who still surprises me after every new song I've heard you play. If I listen to different recordings of other players, most of the time I know what they are playing but when you play just like John Hughey, Mike Johnson, Buddy Emmons, Herby Wallace, Johny Cox, Paul Franklin etc. (forgive me if I didn't mention your name because there are more off course) these are the guys that are playing their own and making the most difficult instrument in the world so much more special.

I'm very grateful for having this stuff and to study it. It helps me as a beginner to 'steel' some licks and also to make it my own. I hope you guys are still going to play very long and keep pushing this instrument. I'm trying to make this instrument more popular in the Netherlands and to promote to whoever is interesting in a PSG.

Best regards,

Mathew Jut

http://www.youtube.com/@MathewJut

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 3:59 pm    

My opinion? Tommy is the best living steel guitarist. He is afraid of nothing, apparently.

Buck Reid is snapping at his heels, though. Very Happy

Doubtless they have a mutual respect and, at their level, it's not a competition.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 4:18 pm    

And let us not forget the Great Johnny Cox. I love Tommy but I love Johnny just as much. He can do it all and never even breath hard. J.R. Rose

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 5:05 pm    

Johnny was the steel player when I first saw the Time Jumpers - he was amazing!

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 9:27 am    

Being primarily a guitar player for the last 50 years, sometimes names fall through the cracks.. I got to the party late, first really listened to Tommy on the Big E record and that's when I realized I was hearing greatness! Now I try and tune in to XM for the live Opry show every chance I get because I know he's there!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 1:23 pm    

What they ☝️ ⬆️ ALL said... There’s really nothing one can add here without some redundancy to what’s already been said... However, Tommy is that guy that when you listen to him, the prevailing thought that comes to me is,... there’s absolutely NO way what he just did is even possible.... The coordination between Tommy’s Fingers, Feet and Knee’s and his Thought process is simply astounding.... Your peers, of which I’m obviously NOT one, think the world of you and your playing.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 10:16 am    

I'm constanly awed by the intelligence, talent and labor of love required to learn this uniquely wonderful instrument, let alone master it. By all measures,Tommy certainly has. I believe what sets apart the Steel Guitar Nation is its compassion,generosity, eagerness, not just willingness, to share knowledge, provide instruction,all requiring the dwindling resource we cant buy more of:time. Its obviously a special bond.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 11:30 am    

An encore of a wonderful performance by Tommy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoPTJNmiCw

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 12:24 pm    

Tommy has the best tone in the business. If you look in the dictionary for greatest steel guitar tone, Tommy's picture should be there.

Gregory Etchason

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 1:04 pm    

I was just taking up the Steel in the mid 90's. A friend suggested I go to St Louis for the convention. In a large side room Jeff Newman, Hal Rugg, Paul Franklin and Tommy White were all on stage together. They were rotating through songs that Jeff would start. I knew very little, but to my untrained ears it seemed like Tommy was the only one on the stage. He was that good. Many might think this is hyperbole but it's how I remember it.

Clyde Lane

Glasgow, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2017 1:48 pm    

In the late 70's I use to go the Lemon Tree Lounge in Louisville just to hear Tommy. He would blow you away with his picking back then.

Bob Ricker

Nashville Tn
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 5:03 pm    

I remember when I started playing the pedal steel and came to Nashville some to hear players at the Opry and other clubs. I remember being impressed with Tommy at the Opry, as I believe he was with the Whites at that time.
After the Opry we would go to Earnest Tubbs Midnight Jamboree, at the time it was on Music Valley Drive in a long stand alone building, with a smaller wood building beside the main building, and that is where they held the Midnight Jamboree. When the weather was warm enough ET's had windows they would open. I would stand outside the window by the band and watch Tommy play. It was a real lesson and reality check in what it would take to be great at the instrument. I admired the fact that he can play as melodic as a ballad calls for and can really liven up a fast tune with staccato like, well played fast riffs, and continues to do it well years later.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 8:56 am    

Tommy is the most tasteful and fastest player I've ever seen. Whether it's slow crying steel guitar or blazing fast riffs, he is the best.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2018 7:52 pm    

Thank you so much everyone! I’m still overwhelmed at the replies.
I’m still loving playing and our instrument. My hope is for the pedal steel to continue on!

James Leaman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2018 6:05 am    

Yup. While taking a shower this morning my mind drifted to "who is the best steel player in the present time?". It swiftly concluded Tommy White. Then i saw this post this morning. How timely!